Captive Portal Whitelist intermittent
We are having some issues with our captive portal. Right now in order for users to use the wifi we have a captive portal setup but we require their device mac address to be whitelisted. So we are not using the login functionality of the captive portal. The login page tells the users that they need to whitelist their mac. So for 95% of users there is no issue, we whitelist them and they are always able to use the wifi. For the other 5% they are whitelisted but have intermittant issues where it sends them to the login page. Even though they are whitelisted. Other times they have no issues.