Upgrading from 2.4.0 to 2.4.4_3
I need to upgrade my pfsense firewall from 2.4.0 to 2.4.4_3.
I appear to have two choices.
- Go through the normal upgrade process
- Take a backup, install 2.4.4_3 and restore backup.
I tried to test these using virtualbox. Timings for each were.
- Nearly 3 hours. I preformed the upgrade from the console with pfSense-upgrade -d
- 15 minutes.
So I think I would prefer method 2. Are there any risks doing it this way?
method 3 : take a configuration backup, install a clean 2.4.4-p3 , restore configuration backup
time: 5 min
Same as my method 2
ah ok good, go with method 2 then
it's the best way !
3 hours seems a tad bit long (by several hours), though I've only ever used the GUI. Did you uninstall packages first? Are all configured DNS servers functioning? That can cause delays as it proceeds through each DNS server.
You're correct I do have ipv6 configured but it was not connected in my test environment.
I'll try again with pfSense-upgrade -4 -d
I agree 3hours is excessive. I used the console so I could see what was happening. No packages installed. I'll test the dns servers.
- pfSense-upgrade -4 -d . It took just 4:00 minutes from pressing enter on the upgrade command to the upgraded console menu.
- Took 4 minutes after initiating reboot to install but seemed to need another reboot, after restoring config, before I could login to the web console. In reality this method takes a bit longer, as I have not included preparation time (download, burn CD/USB, etc).
- As 2 but use the 'Recover config.xml' option in the 2.4.4.p3 installer. 3.5 minutes from reboot initiation to web and shell console login.
Gertjan last edited by
Something to think of when you update or upgrade :
After the backup of the config, and before the upgrade, reboot.
Wait for it to 'settle' down en check basic network activity and recent log line entries.