ATT poor upload speeds
First time post here. I have been using PFsense running on about 4 years now. Lots of fun times and package work. Seems I am at a problem point though.
Up until a recent move, I had a local hometown provider who just put their Fiber gateway in bridge mode. It worked great. I saw about 940/900 mbp for down/up. As for the recent move though, I am stuck with AT&T business fiber. I have a BGW320-505 and when I plug into it, using the pass-through mode, I can get 950/950 with any of my own devices directly plugged into it; however, with PFsense I get around 500 down and less than a meg up which is quite a big issue. The 500 down I get with the double NAT'ing and how painful AT&T passthrough is; however, the less than a mb up is an issue and from my crawling through the web it seems I shouldn't have to do anything special to get it running. Figured I would start here with chasing down the issue.
I have done a clean install to be sure with no packages and issue persists.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5500 CPU @ 3.80GHz
My bad if this has already been addressed, but I've done a bit of digging. Kind of sad I have a BGW320 otherwise I would be trying the pfatt bypass.
Thanks in advanced!
Less than 1Mbps sounds like a speed/duplex issue.
Check Status > Interfaces. Make sure it's linked at 1G with no errors or collisions showing.
No collisions showing; however, a lot of errors. Starting to do a bit of digging. This post here is looking promising so I will dig into it.
539154/419870 (433.56 MiB/48.27 MiB)
In/out packets (pass)
539154/419870 (433.56 MiB/48.27 MiB)
In/out packets (block)
2114/0 (140 KiB/0 B)
Ok that's not good. Try running ifconfig against it at the command prompt:
ifconfig -vvvm igb0
Assuming your WAN is igb0.
ifconfig -vvvm em0 em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 description: WAN options=81209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWFILTER> capabilities=953d9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,LRO,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWFILTER,VLAN_HWTSO,NETMAP> <Addresses Removed> media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>) status: active supported media: media autoselect media 1000baseT media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex media 100baseTX media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex media 10baseT/UTP nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
Hmm, could be some very low level incompatibility. I assume you've tried swapping out the cable? Changing the port?
Can you reassign the interfaces to use a different NIC as WAN in pfSense?
You might try disabling checksum offload in Sys > Adv > Networking (requires a reboot).
I have tried different cables, though they're from the same batch. That and I do not have a speed issue when I use the same cable for different hardware, but a cable tester would make my life easier.
I disabled checksum offload earlier when I was running through some troubleshooting steps; however, no luck. My download did go up about 50 mbps though if that counts. Also tried conservative profile for connections when I did that.
As far as a different NIC. I have not. Will try and get back with you.
Issue resolved. Many thanks!
Side note: Kind of blows my mind that it was working and then blatantly stopped, should have looked at the errors prior. I guess something got damaged when I moved even though I was extra careful with my hardware. It seems to be one specific port on my 2 port NIC. I swapped to the port on the motherboard for WAN and I am using the second port on the intel NIC. I'll keep an eye on it, but I am guessing I will eventually need to replace the intel NIC entirely.
Should also add that now I see closer to expected speeds around 940/820, though that could just be local usage on that dip
Ah, nice catch. Yeah I'm always suspicious with one bad port on a NIC. If it's physically damaged you're probably OK but if it took an electrical surge is the other port going to fail....