Cosmetic console bug while installing packages

  • I am running this freshly-installed build on an Atom D2500:
    2.1-BETA0 (amd64)
    built on Sat Aug 25 13:20:22 EDT 2012
    FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p4

    After restoring a backup of the config file and subsequent reboot, during package installation, I got the following display error in the console.

    Notice the broken display of percentages and other messages on the bottom lines. This happened for all packages that were installed.

  • This happened when some tidy-ups were done to minimise the percentage progress output that would scroll across the console. Now it is putting a "\r" before the percentage is reported, thus going to the start of the line and scribbling over the first few chars of text.
    I submitted a pull request to fix this up by being a bit smarter, leaving the percentage at the end of the line and using backspaces to rub out the old value before printing the next one.

  • This made it into the build:
    2.1-BETA0 (i386)
    built on Sun Aug 26 20:04:49 EDT 2012

    I just updated my test system and got output on the console like:

    Beginning package installation for blinkled . 100%
    Installing blinkled and its dependencies. 100% 100% 100%

    Note that the repeated 100% are because multiple files are downloaded. The details of every file name are not output to the console, so you see muliple sets of progress %age, one after the other.

Log in to reply