Since more than a week I'm having heavy connection problems.
I have a 120/12mbit connection and normally I get the full speed (more or less).
But the last week my connection dropped to 50mbit down and 6 or 7 up.
Also I'm having major packetloss if I check the gateway in pfSense, sometimes 30 - 50% packetloss.
Checking the gateway logs gives me the following:
apinger: alarm canceled: WAN_DHCP(Gateway IP) *** loss *** apinger: alarm canceled: WAN_DHCP(Gateway IP) *** down *** apinger: ALARM: WAN_DHCP(Gateway IP) *** down *** apinger: ALARM: WAN_DHCP(Gateway IP) *** loss ***
These messages are repeated on a regular basis.
Checking the general logs gives me the following:
php-fpm: /rc.openvpn: OpenVPN: One or more OpenVPN tunnel endpoints may have changed its IP. Reloading endpoints that may use WAN_DHCP. php-fpm: /rc.dyndns.update: phpDynDNS (home): No change in my IP address and/or 25 days has not passed. Not updating dynamic DNS entry. check_reload_status: Reloading filter check_reload_status: Restarting OpenVPN tunnels/interfaces check_reload_status: Restarting ipsec tunnels check_reload_status: updating dyndns WAN_DHCP
These messages are repeated pretty often as well.
I have phoned my ISP (Ziggo) and they are checking the connection to my home.
But they told me the problem would most likely be my router/firewall, the pfSense box (APU1D4).
Do you guys think the problems are caused by the pfSense box or my internet connection itself?
could be apinger or could be your modem. have you tried restarting/rebooting both ?
Yes, I have tried both (reboot pfSense box and modem).
If I "reset" the modem, pull power plug and leave it for 30 seconds before powering it back on I get full speed again.
This could be for a few hours (sometimes days) but than falls back again.
Ok, I have power cycled my modem this morning around 8.30 AM (CET).
I got full speed again and no packetloss. Since 1pm (CET) the connection is breaking up again.
Just checked and had 14% packetloss (at the gateway monitoring).
Speeds dropped back to 60/7 mbit also.
try pinging the gateway monitor ip (or other public ip's) from console. see if you can detect packetloss that way.
If everything seems ok from console, then disable gateway monitoring & see if this solves it.
Thanks for your help. heper.
I just got a phone call from my ISP, the problem is within their network and trying to fix this asap.