ITX-M9F VER:1.1 w/ J1900 and 4x Intel 82583V Net 4 DC D525 Purchased $250

• So I just bought this board (well I think it is this one) in a case

http://www.tostarcn.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=185&Id=193&FId=t3:185:3

Run it through a translator and you get this:

Product Model

ITX- M9F_B VER: 1.1

processor

Integrated I ntel® J1900 / 2.00GHz quad-core processor, TDP power consumption 1 0 W

chipset

Based on Intel® Bay trail SOC platform

Inside    Deposit

1 * SO   DDRIII accommodate only 1 600 / 1333MHz DDR3L / 1.35V memory, up to 8 GB

Display

Intel®HD Graphics integrated graphics core

The internet

4 * Intel 82574L Gigabit LAN chip that supports Wake on LAN / PXE function

Integrated group BAPASS function, management network ports 1 and 2

Deposit    Savings

1 * SATA Ⅱ hard disk interface (SATA1 and 2.5-inch notebook hard drives second election)

1 * SSD MSATA solid state hard disk interface

Backplane I / O interface

2 * USB2.0 Interface

4 * RJ-45 network interface

1 * RJ45 COM interface (interface uses Cisco standard definition)

1 * LED signal lamp indication (LEDs indicate power and hard disk)

1 * Touch the start button

1 * DC12V power input

Built-in I / O Interface

1 * J VGA1 Interface (1 * 12 pin) to connect the monitor with a VGA adapter cable

1 * COM interface (2 * 5pin)

1 * LAN_LED Interface 2 * 6pin

4 * USB2.0 Interface (2 * 5pin pumping 9)

1 * PS / 2 mouse and keyboard interfaces (1 * 6Pin)

1 * hard drive power connector

* 1 front panel function buttons and indicators on the interface (2 * 5pin)

1 * 4pin ATX 12V power supply input and output interfaces

Fan connector

1 * CPU Fan connector 4pin; 1 * 3pin fan connector system

GPIO

It supports 4-way input and output GPIO

BIOS

AMI 64Mb Flash ROM

Watchdog

Support hardware reset function (256, 0 to 255 seconds)

Power supply type

DC_12V Single power supply

Operating temperature

-10 ℃ ~ 60 ℃

Storage temperature

- 2 0 ℃ ~ 7 0 ℃

Working humidity

5% -95% relative humidity, non-condensing

ruler   Inch

170mm x 170mm 

I am trying to find some docs, can't find it anywhere online.

This page has links but they are disabled for now: http://www.tostarcn.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=185&Id=193&FId=t3:185:3

First link is specs
    2nd is documents
    3rd is drivers

With the case you get this model: Desktop "Net 4" DC D525 / D2550 / J1900 : http://www.tostarcn.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=169&Id=215&FId=t3:169:3

So I got it from amazon, had to move a jumper to get me 2.5" SSD to work, just from guessing.

http://www.amazon.com/Solana-Tech-Barebones-pfSense-firewall/dp/B01CV7LW3I?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Installed pfSense 2.3 RC on it and get nearly 1000Mb/s doing a file transfer with 25% load.  So not bad, this was testing on internal network only LAN to WAN

• hey i have an asrock version of your mobo/cpu, was wondering if it could handle my 1000mbps wan - lan, I guess this answers my question :)

• Very cool - thanks for the test.  Any chance you could test VPN performance as well?

• @TD22057:

Very cool - thanks for the test.  Any chance you could test VPN performance as well?

Sure, I will post when I get a chance to set it up.  I am new to pfsense, and the openvpn seems a little not intuitive, compared to the CLI on centos.

• Hey, thanks for the review on amazon and the post here. I'm the guy that runs Solana Tech on Amazon. I know it's generally frowned upon to plug your own stuff, but since you specifically posted what I sold you and what I'm here to support I hope the mods don't mind.

The motherboard model that you have is actually just the M9F, not the M9F_B (though I carry the M9F_B in my amazon store). The biggest difference being that the M9F has 82583V NICs and the M9F_B has 82574L NICs. There's not much difference, both should be able to route at roughly gigabit speeds. Another difference is RAM compatibility. The M9F supports 1.5V RAM at 1066 and 1333mhz. The M9F_B says it only supports 1.35V RAM at 1333mhz and 1600mhz, though my 1.5V stick works perfectly. I'd still recommend going with the advertised RAM spec, though.

I'm currently working on some documentation, especially for the jumpers and pinouts, and I'll post an update once it's done. It's basically impossible to get good documentation from a small chinese manufacturer so I have to scrounge the internet looking at acronyms and experimenting and hounding my contacts for any information. Anyway, this page has a picture that at least tells you what each pinout is : http://www.inctel.com.cn/product/detail/119

I'll look into the SATA jumper and ask the manufacturer, so hopfully I'll have some info early next week.

Again, thanks for the support. If you have any comments/care/questions/concerns, PM me here (I'll try and check this account more often), find me on reddit at /u/SolanaTech or reach my business email at forrest@solanate.ch. My stock is low on the routers but I'll hopefully have more sent in to amazon in ~3 weeks.

Cheers!

• I would recommend to enable some functions and features;

• enable TRIM for the SSD
    • enable PowerD (hi adaptive) for the CPU
    • if 8 GB of RAM will be find its way in you could also try to hugh up the mbuf size to 500000 or 1000000

• @SolanaTech:

Hey, thanks for the review on amazon and the post here. I'm the guy that runs Solana Tech on Amazon. I know it's generally frowned upon to plug your own stuff, but since you specifically posted what I sold you and what I'm here to support I hope the mods don't mind.

The motherboard model that you have is actually just the M9F, not the M9F_B (though I carry the M9F_B in my amazon store). The biggest difference being that the M9F has 82583V NICs and the M9F_B has 82574L NICs. There's not much difference, both should be able to route at roughly gigabit speeds. Another difference is RAM compatibility. The M9F supports 1.5V RAM at 1066 and 1333mhz. The M9F_B says it only supports 1.35V RAM at 1333mhz and 1600mhz, though my 1.5V stick works perfectly. I'd still recommend going with the advertised RAM spec, though.

I'm currently working on some documentation, especially for the jumpers and pinouts, and I'll post an update once it's done. It's basically impossible to get good documentation from a small chinese manufacturer so I have to scrounge the internet looking at acronyms and experimenting and hounding my contacts for any information. Anyway, this page has a picture that at least tells you what each pinout is : http://www.inctel.com.cn/product/detail/119

I'll look into the SATA jumper and ask the manufacturer, so hopfully I'll have some info early next week.

Again, thanks for the support. If you have any comments/care/questions/concerns, PM me here (I'll try and check this account more often), find me on reddit at /u/SolanaTech or reach my business email at forrest@solanate.ch. My stock is low on the routers but I'll hopefully have more sent in to amazon in ~3 weeks.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, I corrected the title to remove the B in the origninal post, after doing this:

[2.3-RC][root@pfSenseBox.iombr.com]/root: pciconf -lv | grep Giga
        device    = '82583V Gigabit Network Connection'
    [2.3-RC][root@pfSenseBox.iombr.com]/root:

I could see that it is the chipset that does not have the BYPASS mode.  Was not something I was looking for, so not concerned.

In the picture from the diagram in the link http://www.inctel.com.cn/product/detail/119 if you look at where it says sata5, that is where I connect a 2.5" SSD.  I stuck a mechanical disk in there too, to verify from platter and armature noise to see if it got power, which it did not.

So if you look back at that chart, and it says MINIPCIE, right behind to the right of that minipci connector is a jumper block, with 12 pins in rows of 3.  I had to move if from the left side to the right side (front of the board?) and then I would hear the drive power up.

If I was taking a wild guess, those 4 pins are for 3.3, 5v, 12v and ground.  And I was allowing power to go from the stand alone power plug next to the single sata (Labled PWROUT) vs the 2.5 sata/power port.

I was mounting my SSD with the bracket above the mini pci slots.

• @BlueKobold:

I would recommend to enable some functions and features;

• enable TRIM for the SSD
    • enable PowerD (hi adaptive) for the CPU
    • if 8 GB of RAM will be find its way in you could also try to hugh up the mbuf size to 500000 or 1000000

I stuck in a 4gb stick, it is a single slot, so maybe for the future will go to 8 for buffering.  Was just reading about ssd trim for freebsd, will enable that.  Not sure what you mean about hi adpaptive for the CPU.

I was able to change the monitoring so on the main page it shows the CPU temp, vs the screen shot below is the board temp.

Also I went in the bios and disabled all the acpi and power settings, so full throttle.

• Did a few more random, not too controller tests.

With typical usage the box hovered around 6% CPU

I unchecked:

Disable hardware TCP segmentation offload
    Checking this option will disable hardware TCP segmentation offloading (TSO, TSO4, TSO6). This offloading is broken in some hardware drivers, and may impact performance with some specific NICs.This will take effect after a machine reboot or re-configure of each interface.

Rebooted, now doing between 0 and 3 percent.

Will test 1Gb transfer again.

• First of all, thank you for publishing this topic. I'm struggling in here, due the lack of doc available, and your topic was very helpful. I just received mine. Purchased the same product from Amazon like you did.

Did you use the COM port to access the device and then an USB to install the pfsense? As there is no PS1/2 available to plugin a keyboard, I think the best way to access it would be using a DB9 cable. Regarding the SSD, I'm using a 240GB I already had. I installed it in there, but now after reading your post I'm not sure it's properly installed once I haven't heard any "click" when attached the SSD. You said, in your Amazon's review, yours came with an adapter to mount a 2.5" drive. I didn't find any adapter. The only thing in the box was the power cable. I will contact Solana to see if there is something really missing.

Thank you.

• @alancota:

First of all, thank you for publishing this topic. I'm struggling in here, due the lack of doc available, and your topic was very helpful. I just received mine. Purchased the same product from Amazon like you did.

Did you use the COM port to access the device and then an USB to install the pfsense? As there is no PS1/2 available to plugin a keyboard, I think the best way to access it would be using a DB9 cable. Regarding the SSD, I'm using a 240GB I already had. I installed it in there, but now after reading your post I'm not sure it's properly installed once I haven't heard any "click" when attached the SSD. You said, in your Amazon's review, yours came with an adapter to mount a 2.5" drive. I didn't find any adapter. The only thing in the box was the power cable. I will contact Solana to see if there is something really missing.

Thank you.

I used 3 external things, the VGA port, 1 USB Keyboard via the USB Port and a 1GB Flash memstick to boot from and do the install.  The RJ45 Com port is supposed to be a cisco compatable serial port, I have not tried it.  You can always redirect the VGA pfSense install to it later.

I just picked VGA kernel and stuck with the quick default install.

Double check your box, I had just a little baggie with 4 screws and a small 2.5 inch long bracket.  You screw 2 holes to the bottom of the drive, and the other 2 go into the two posts closest to all the NIC ports.

Without the bracket the drive will most likely fall out.

• Here is a picture with a 2.5 inch drive installed.

• If you are interested in a manual, I managed to dig out the link for the M9F (non-B) manual in their website (horrible to navigate really).

http://www.tostarcn.com/Private/Files/52499bad388cefe35378.rar

It's a Word Doc and in Chinese so YMMV.

Attached a larger picture for the layout of the board.

Prob. the most pertinent points are that:

JPW1 toggles whether the board will power up upon applying power or wait for the power button to be pressed.

JP9 changes the LAN bypass mode between manual (short Pins 1 & 2) and software mode (short 2 & 3). – Where applicable to the model.

To toggle the active SATA port for the 2.5" (Port 5) or the cable port (Port 2):

SATA1_SW1

Short Pins 1-2\4-5\7-8\10-11 to route the chipset to SATA2 (the regular cabled port)

Short Pins 2-3\5-6\8-9\11-12 to route the chipset to SATA5

JLAN_LED1 LED pin-out for LAN activity/ Link:

1   LAN1_ACT-   2   LAN1_ACT+
    3   LAN1_LI+   4   LAN1_LI-
    5   LAN2_ACT-   6   LAN2_ACT+
    7   LAN2_LI+   8   LAN2_LI-
    9   LAN3_ACT-   10   LAN3_ACT+
    11   LAN3_LI+   12   LAN3_LI-
    13   LAN4_ACT-   14   LAN4_ACT+
    15   LAN4_LI+   16   LAN4_LI-

FPANEL1 Pin-out for front panel connections:

1   HDDLED+      2   PWRLED+
    3   HDDLED-      4   PWRLED-
    5   GND      6   PWRBTN#
    7   RESETBTN#   8   GND
    9   NC      10   

• Tried to download the doc, but good job finding this, I ran that page through the translator and only link I found was dead!

The GPIO port is cool, as you could hook a screen to that.

Nice to see all the extra ports, including the CPU fan.

• Just spent about an hour translating the original, did not proof read too much, hope they do not mind that I repost!

See attached file.

[ITX-M9F VER 1.1(2015.10.22) English.zip](/public/imported_attachments/1/ITX-M9F VER 1.1(2015.10.22) English.zip)

• @sensebox:

Did a few more random, not too controller tests.

With typical usage the box hovered around 6% CPU

I unchecked:

Disable hardware TCP segmentation offload
    Checking this option will disable hardware TCP segmentation offloading (TSO, TSO4, TSO6). This offloading is broken in some hardware drivers, and may impact performance with some specific NICs.This will take effect after a machine reboot or re-configure of each interface.

Rebooted, now doing between 0 and 3 percent.

Will test 1Gb transfer again.

Went and unchecked all the disable TCP etc options, was able to squeeze an extra few Mbps, like 20 or so.  Transfers were faster.

• @sensebox:

@TD22057:

Very cool - thanks for the test.  Any chance you could test VPN performance as well?

Sure, I will post when I get a chance to set it up.  I am new to pfsense, and the openvpn seems a little not intuitive, compared to the CLI on centos.

Did a small OpenVPN test, with 2048 bits enc, was able to download an 8GB file in about 12 minutes, same file on same network without VPN took about 1.5 Minutes.  This was on a 1Gb VPN to WAN and back out again on the WAN to the lab and got about 300Mbps sustained. That is 150 Mbps up and down simultaneously.

This OpenVPN setup was also using TCP, will do the test again with UDP, should be faster.  Also keep in mind all the tests were done on an internal network with other traffic.

• I picked up one of these too and have been testing with sensebox.  All tests below are on a full gigE LAN.

1.  OpenVPN 2048b TCP with all traffic routing through tunnel (no split-tunnel).  This is all setup on a work LAN copying to/from a somewhat busy switch.  For this test I connected to VPN WAN interface with a Tunneblick client and copied a file from a machine also on the WAN subnet through pfsense - the old in-out/hairpin (to simulate remote connection to VPN for web browsing).  This was what sensebox described above - The little box got and stayed somewhat warm at room/office temperature.

2.  Also tested a sustained NAT copy from LAN to WAN (scp) and filled the gigE link with ease:

3.  Lastly tried a 2048 bit TCP OpenVPN copy through the pfsense box.  Same setup as step #1 but copied from WAN through OpenVPN client to internal LAN system.  Curiously it only sustained just under 150Mb/s just like half of the in-out/hairpin copy.  I would guess that's because an OpenVPN session is single-threaded and one of the four cores is completely consumed by this process (notice load average is 1X).  Will look into UDP clients tomorrow.

• How did you power the board? Did you use the 4pin 12V?

• @alextz:

How did you power the board? Did you use the 4pin 12V?

This kit from Amazon came with an external power brick and a barrel plug.  The only think you need to get this box going is a 2.5" drive (SSD/mechanical) and a memory stick.

• @TD22057:

Was able to do some more tests today, TCP and UDP.  My home internet is not the fastest, but I was able to VPN in over the internet with UDP and get about 95% of my download speed, using speedtest, with TCP a little slower, perhaps around 85%.  Either way this was no hardware crypto (Chip does not support it) and no compression on the tunnel (since I figure I have fast enough pipe to home as well as places I am connecting from.  4GLTE tests were excellent too.

• Box has been 100% stable, have been running this 24x7 with no issue and on the 2.3 Final release. Temp hovers around 41% and I have about 30 or so devices being served through this.

I installed snort, and enable all the rules, didn't slow anything down that I could notice.

So good system so far.  Next question is I wonder if I can get this fan less, drill some speed holes in the case or something ;)

• Then I believe using this board is easier to build
    http://www.amazon.com/Jetway-NF9HG-2930-mini-ITX-Network-Motherboard/dp/B00XNR4HE2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461186807&sr=1-1&keywords=jetway+nf9hg-2930

Since you can simply plug in a 12V DC power and that's it! (I'm using this already)

• @sensebox:

So good system so far.  Next question is I wonder if I can get this fan less, drill some speed holes in the case or something ;)

The unit just has case fans. You can certainly unplug these. I don't know what that'll do to the CPU temps but it's worth a shot. Those tiny fans are unfortunately kinda loud.

• Thanks for the info, I corrected the title to remove the B in the origninal post, after doing this:

[2.3-RC][root@pfSenseBox.iombr.com]/root: pciconf -lv | grep Giga
    [2.3-RC][root@pfSenseBox.iombr.com]/root:

I could see that it is the chipset that does not have the BYPASS mode.  Was not something I was looking for, so not concerned.

Sorry if I revive this thread but is the BYPASS mode something I would want if I intent to bridge the LAN ports to use this like a consumer router? I'm thinking about going pfSense with this mobo but I don't want a modem , a router AND a switch standing around, thats just too much clutter for my 3 end devices.

I couldn't find any for me understandable info on BYPASS for that usecase. Thanks in advance!

• I have this board too. Very nice. Has anyone noticed though that CPU frequeuency pretty much always seems to be 100% ? I've seen it drop to around 1300MHz but the majority of the time it seems to be full on 1993MHz. I've experimented with the power options but not found a way to get it to drop the clock frequency when idle. I've noticed im drawing a bit more than the 10W specified too, right now it's showing on my kill-a-watt meter as using 22W ?! (and 0% cpu)

• @xenu:

I have this board too. Very nice. Has anyone noticed though that CPU frequeuency pretty much always seems to be 100% ? I've seen it drop to around 1300MHz but the majority of the time it seems to be full on 1993MHz. I've experimented with the power options but not found a way to get it to drop the clock frequency when idle. I've noticed im drawing a bit more than the 10W specified too, right now it's showing on my kill-a-watt meter as using 22W ?! (and 0% cpu)

I've just started using one too. I'd say mines showing 1.99GHz half the time, the other half it's a bit slower (anywhere from 1.3GHz upwards). I've not checked the power usage though.

Does anyone know of a way to control the case fans on this (or indeed on pfsense in general)? Mine are at full tilt all the time and although the airflow makes quite some noise. I did disconnect the fans just to see what impact it would be and temps were up at 82C - bit too much for my liking. I put Windows on it and struggled to get any form of fan control using that.

• Hi,

Any updates on your gallant effort in helping us with the documentation

I just recently bough one of these boards

Any help, I would appreciate so much

Thanks,

Marlou Jasmin Madrio

@SolanaTech:

Hey, thanks for the review on amazon and the post here. I'm the guy that runs Solana Tech on Amazon. I know it's generally frowned upon to plug your own stuff, but since you specifically posted what I sold you and what I'm here to support I hope the mods don't mind.

Cheers!

• Does anyone know what the specs are for the 3G Module that is included with this board. Looking as the bands & frequencies that it supports? I looked through the translated manual and it did not make any mentions of the specs, just that the board had a 3G SIM Module.

I am assuming the 3G Module requires drivers? If so where can one find them? Are they compatible with Pfsense?

I tested the slot with both Windows 10 OS and Pfsense (separate hard drives for each OS) and neither was able to detect the the SIM Card. Was just curious if any others have had success with using the SIM slot as your WAN, and if so how did you do it.

Thanks.

Joe

• @jalonergan:

Does anyone know what the specs are for the 3G Module that is included with this board. Looking as the bands & frequencies that it supports? I looked through the translated manual and it did not make any mentions of the specs, just that the board had a 3G SIM Module.

I am assuming the 3G Module requires drivers? If so where can one find them? Are they compatible with Pfsense?

I tested the slot with both Windows 10 OS and Pfsense (separate hard drives for each OS) and neither was able to detect the the SIM Card. Was just curious if any others have had success with using the SIM slot as your WAN, and if so how did you do it.

Thanks.

Joe

The board itself doesn't come with one - you have add your own to the mini-pcie connector above the SIM slot. So it entirely depends what card you add as to what bands and frequencies you get. If the seller is including one, you'll have to check with them what card is included. You can't just add a SIM card, you need the modem bit too.

I'm using a fairly old Dell 5520 3.6mbit HSDPA card which works fine for my needs.

• @jalonergan:

Does anyone know what the specs are for the 3G Module that is included with this board. Looking as the bands & frequencies that it supports? I looked through the translated manual and it did not make any mentions of the specs, just that the board had a 3G SIM Module.

Thanks.

Joe

Not sure about 3g modules specifically, but I've dealt with these J1900 mini systems before (this one is nicer) - and a quick test with an intel 6300 revealed that the mini pci-e slot is the same as the other box I bought - it's a USB interface only.  By the way, sticking a regular wifi card into a slot with the usb interface lets the magical blue smoke out of the wifi card.

For the other box, I bought a pair of AzureWave mini-pci-e usb interface wifi-n cards (cheaper to buy a pair than singles at that time).  I looked far and wide for an ABG-N card, but the best I could find was a BG-N from AzureWave.

So, my input on your 3G question - find one with a USB interface or it won't work.  That slot isn't a real pci-e slot, it's a half-ass implementation - just like the other slot is only good for msata..it's not real pci-e either.  Yes, there is a spec for both configurations - but it would have been nice to have the option to put in any pci-e device instead of having my hands tied.  I might have considered a 3g + wifi abg-n to have a really flexibie box….

Good luck and thanks for the info on this device.  This thread saved me a lot of experimentation

• I bought one on ebay configure to pci-e. The only catch is you lose one of your lan ports.  Best I can figure there are at least 3 versions of this board floating around with or without wifi option and j1800 cpu. For $275 it came with the following: 8gb,120gb drive Pci-e and a Intel 512an_mmw. The price has since gone up $292 for the same configuration.

http://www.tostarcn.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=185&Id=193&FId=t3%3A185%3A3