Ntopng service will not start because Redis service is not running

• Greetings users,

I have searched through forums and google and nothing worked for me so I am creating a new topic for this.

Ntopng service is not running because redis service has stopped working. Log says:

Mar 28 09:55:05 ntopng [Redis.cpp:81] ERROR: to specify a redis server other than the default
    Mar 28 09:55:05 ntopng [Redis.cpp:80] ERROR: Please start it and try again or use -r
    Mar 28 09:55:05 ntopng [Redis.cpp:79] ERROR: ntopng requires redis server to be up and running

I kicked up redis once using command :

Service redis onestart

and it worked.

Later again it stopped but now that command wont help me out.

service redis onestart outputs  "redis is starting"

service redis onestatus outputs : :redis is not running."

I am at lost where to go from here. anyone has any idea what to do next in order to kick start redis.

P.s: I have tried restarting pfsense, re installing ntopng. nothing helps.

Pfsense verison: 2.3.3-RELEASE-p1 (amd64)
    built on Thu Mar 09 07:17:41 CST 2017
    FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p17

ntopng  version 0.8.6_1

redis version redis-3.2.6

• @musa.ktk:

Greetings users,

I have searched through forums and google and nothing worked for me so I am creating a new topic for this.

Ntopng service is not running because redis service has stopped working. Log says:

Mar 28 09:55:05 ntopng [Redis.cpp:81] ERROR: to specify a redis server other than the default
    Mar 28 09:55:05 ntopng [Redis.cpp:80] ERROR: Please start it and try again or use -r
    Mar 28 09:55:05 ntopng [Redis.cpp:79] ERROR: ntopng requires redis server to be up and running

I kicked up redis once using command :

Service redis onestart

and it worked.

Later again it stopped but now that command wont help me out.

service redis onestart outputs  "redis is starting"

service redis onestatus outputs : :redis is not running."

I am at lost where to go from here. anyone has any idea what to do next in order to kick start redis.

P.s: I have tried restarting pfsense, re installing ntopng. nothing helps.

Pfsense verison: 2.3.3-RELEASE-p1 (amd64)
    built on Thu Mar 09 07:17:41 CST 2017
    FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p17

ntopng  version 0.8.6_1

redis version redis-3.2.6

Go to the shell and try this :  redis-server /usr/local/etc/redis.conf

• That command runs without showing any output which means it runs successfully but service redis onestatus or status still says redis server is not running.

• OK i have got a temporary workaround:

redis-server

this command output that address is already in use while service redis onestatus shows that redis is not running.

by running redis-cli ping the output was PONG which meant redis is somewhat running?

to shut it down, i used redis-cli shutdown

then i issued a simple command redis-server

this opens up redis server cli interface that shows redis is ready to start taking connections.

I have issued all these commands from Pfsesne sheel directly, and ntopng service starts just fine after this workaround.

now i need  a way to make this change permanent, how do i do that? in other words how to make it run after reboot?

• I'd love an answer for this as well. Ntop/ntopng is one of several things that ate it after a restore. It really feels like pfsense reliability has taken a hit in the last couple years.

• Galactic Empire

@paftdunk:

I'd love an answer for this as well. Ntop/ntopng is one of several things that ate it after a restore. It really feels like pfsense reliability has taken a hit in the last couple years.

This has nothing to do with pfSense "reliability", it's related to the ntopng package. That being said, I run ntopng package on several boxes without issues, so perhaps start from your configuration. Lastly, I welcome you to submit bugs as everyone else does it when they have an issue.

Thanks.

• @ivor:

@paftdunk:

I'd love an answer for this as well. Ntop/ntopng is one of several things that ate it after a restore. It really feels like pfsense reliability has taken a hit in the last couple years.

This has nothing to do with pfSense "reliability", it's related to the ntopng package. That being said, I run ntopng package on several boxes without issues, so perhaps start from your configuration. Lastly, I welcome you to submit bugs as everyone else does it when they have an issue.

Thanks.

A restore leaving multiple subsystems broken goes directly to platform quality. I've documented my related issues elsewhere.

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=128262

Thanks.

• Galactic Empire

@paftdunk:

@ivor:

@paftdunk:

Thanks.

A restore leaving multiple subsystems broken goes directly to platform quality. I've documented my related issues elsewhere.

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=128262

Thanks.

Sorry but that's not documenting or submitting a bug report. Regarding the forum thread (unrelated to ntopng I might add), so? What's your point? You had an issue which you were unable to resolve and you decided to blame the "platform" and claim "reliability has taken a hit". If it's not clear, I don't like your attitude. That's not the right way to ask for help.

• Banned

The answer to this problem is that you most likely have screwed redis DB, you should wipe /var/db/ntopng directory (or at least /var/db/ntopng/*.rdb) , uninstall and reinstall the package and start from scratch.

As for the rest - useless noise.

• TY  Doktornotor!

Wipping the /var/db/ntopng  directory solved the issue.

• I get this error on a reboot, and found that it's related to the fact I've put temp and var on a RAM disc.  Ntopng needs a reinstall after a reboot to sort it, but is otherwise stable.