DNS Resolver Host Overrides not updating?
I might be crazy but my 2.3-BETA (amd64) built on Wed Mar 30 06:01:56 CDT 2016 doesn't seem to be updating host_entries.conf when I add/remove host overrides. Can anyone confirm?
The DHCP static entries are in there but nothing from the Resolver config page.
Works fine on 32 bit.
built on Wed Mar 30 07:36:56 CDT 2016
Add/remove DNS resolver host override updates /var/etc/hosts.
Hmm. I'm not seeing it. /var/etc/hosts gets touched but no resolver host override entries are added. Just the dhcp static entries with the dhcp lease entries at the bottom.
Have to try a fresh install/factory config.
Okay fresh install, default config, hosts file gets updated.
The first thing that I thought of that might be peculiar to me is I also have DNS Forwarder enabled on 8053. (Long story - involves forcing teen's VLAN to use OpenDNS).
So I enabled it on the new install too. No more resolver host overrides in the hosts file.
So I think, for now, I can say:
DNS Resolver host overrides are not functional if DNS Forwarder is also enabled.
Lots of juggling required for both configs to coexist and is probably a known compromise to keep one from clobbering the other or something. I have disabled the forwarder for now.
Pre-2.3 it used to be done in the opposite preference - only Unbound's host overrides filled /etc/hosts when both were enabled. Problem with that is dnsmasq's host overrides didn't work, and the hosts file's contents don't impact Unbound's resolution. So it's much better to prefer dnsmasq's where both are enabled. Typically the hosts file isn't relied upon for hostname resolution where using Unbound, though there could be scenarios where it is for the host's own name resolution.
Hmm. Right there in the 2.3 new features and changes file. :/