ICAP problem with squid package after 2.3 update



  • After upgrading pfsense to v2.3, I've encountered a lot of problems and I've managed to fix a few, but I'm left with the following error every time I'm trying to access a page through my reverse proxy configuration which was working fine before the update:

    The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: https://subdomain.domain.com/
    ICAP protocol error.
    The system returned: [No Error]
    This means that some aspect of the ICAP communication failed.
    Some possible problems are:
    The ICAP server is not reachable.
    An Illegal response was received from the ICAP server.
    

    I'm assuming something didn't go right with the ICAP installation included in the packages, but I've de-installed and re-installed it a bunch of time without success. I tried to manually delete the squid installation folders, but I don't know where ICAP get's installed and I haven't managed to find it.

    Any advice or hint on how to solve this problem would be very welcomed.



  • Hello.

    Scenario: pfSense 2.3_1 amd64, squid 0.4.16_2, squidGuard 1.14_3

    The same problem I had, the service c-icap and clamd (ClamAV Squid) going down and squid was a mistake and did not allow connect to pages

    To fix this, I installed the package: Service Watchdog, and will  configured to monitor clamd and c-icap . And now work fine to me.

    Regards



  • Thanks for the suggestion, but both services are always running according to pfsense interface on mine. I'll give it a try anyway, just in case the status doesn't get reported properly.

    I'm using pfsense 2.3-RELEASE (amd64) and the squid package version is 0.4.16_2 and I don't have squidguard installed.

    Edit: Same problem with service watchdog configured to watch clamd and C-ICAP



  • Hello.

    There is a new Upgrade: pfSense 2.3.1

    https://blog.pfsense.org/?p=2050

    Maybe this is the solution.

    Regards



  • No such luck sadly.



  • Hello.

    I try a upgrade to 2.3.1 and if the problem persists, maybe with reinstall of package squid fixed it.

    Regards.



  • Reinstalling the squid package after the upgrade also didn't help, I still get the same error page.



  • Hello.

    You would try this:

    (Backup/copy squid.conf, and squidGuard config, in another files)

    Remove squid (and squidGuard) config:

    Diagnostics > Command Prompt > Execute PHP Commands

    foreach (array_keys($config['installedpackages']) as $sec) {
    	if (strpos($sec, "squid") !== false)
    		unset($config['installedpackages'][$sec]);
    }
    write_config("Removed all squid-related settings");
    
    

    Reinstall squid package, and config again, …

    Regards



  • Thank you so much, that finally did the trick.



  • Thanks.

    It helps me too.

    i have mnake a clean reinstall with 2.31 and it donrt works. after i killed all files and reinstall it works fine.

    thanks!



  • Turns out it doesn't quite work after all, but I can at least easily make the reverse proxy work alone which was the main thing I needed.

    I did some more testing today and noticed that the antivirus option was disabled in squid and when I activate it, I get the ICAP error again.
    If I disable the antivirus again, then the reverse proxy works properly.


Log in to reply