Not acquiring IP address from WiFi AP

• Hi all,

I am helping a client switch from Cisco router to a PFSense router. They bought a Netgate SG-2440
    with optional Wifi. Their Cisco router acts as DHCP server for both LAN an WLAN. They want the same
    functionality from the PFSense router. So I enabled DHCP on the Lan interface. Added and enabled ath0
    wireless interface and rename OPT3 to WiFi. And set the following options:

• Mode: Access Point
    • channel: 11b/g/n - 11
    • enabled WME
    • enabled WPA
    • WPA mode: WPA2

The rest of the options are left as default.

I then created a bridge with LAN and WIFI as members.

When I tested a laptop to connect via WiFi I get connected but I don't get an IP address.

Thanks in advance

• You're probably blocking DHCP on the WIFI interface, but get a UniFi AC AP instead. A single unit can be easily configured with your smartphone.

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

What is the point of the bridge of the wifi to the lan network?  Why not just run your wifi as its own segment?

But I really agree with getting a true AP, unifi make some great products at very reasonable prices.  If you want them to be on the same network as your lan, just plug it into a lan port.  If you want to have multiple vlans with say a guest ssid that is clickity clickity as well.

Your just going to be so much happier with a AP, then a wifi card in your router.  Coverage is going to be much better if you place your AP correctly, or get multiple AP for wider/better coverage.  Its very rare that the router is in the correct location for good wifi coverage where its needed.

• I'll suggest a separate AP to the client.

Thanks

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

take a look at the unifi new AC line they range from $89 for the lite to $149 for the pro.