Suricata Inline mode NO Alert NO Drop

• Hi,

I'm running pfSense on an ESXi6 virtual machine with vmxnet3 network drivers (open-vmtools installed). It is set up as a transparent firewall with bridge interfaces. Packet filtering occurs on bridge interfaces only (system_tunables).
    Suricata setup:

• snort rules downloaded and updated
    • bridge interface configured for inline mode, block offenders, custom home_net
    • dropsid.conf configured for dropping all snort_ rules, applied to bridge interface

Suricata is running fine without errors however no alert or drop shows up in the logs.
    If I change to legacy mode log is full of dropped contents.
    What am I missing here? Any advice?

My version:  2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 (amd64) built on Tue Sep 27 12:13:07 CDT 2016 FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p9
    Suricata version: 3.0_9

Thanks
    mind12

• You should configure for suricata one of bridged interfaces instead of bridge interface.

• I have alredy tried that without success.
    Fortunately I solved the problem. As I suspected the problem was the vmxnet3 drivers. Netmap doesn't support it.
    Alerts appeared using Suricata inline with E1000 drivers on one of my bridge interfaces.
    I found this reference in another post:
    https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=netmap&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+10.2-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html#SUPPORTED_DEVICES

Lesson: DON'T use VMXNET3 with Suricata INLINE mode!