Ntopng does not seem to keep data

• Hello,
    ntopng does not seem to keep historical data. I've observed this behavior especially when I reboot the pfSense machine.

pfSense is installed on barebone machine with a 1000 gb hard drive.

Version info:
    2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 (amd64)
    built on Tue Sep 27 12:13:07 CDT 2016
    FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p9

thanks for any  help

Edit: I wish I had 1000 tb.

Edit 2: I analyzed the symptoms a bit more I found out that it does in fact record historical data. However, I seem to lose this data every time I reboot pfSense.

• wow thats a BIG hard drive 1000TB ??

• Banned

What exactly do you mean by 'historical data'? That space-eating misfeature was abandoned by upstream and is gone from the package (at least in the original form). There are other options accessible from the ntopng Preferences menu.

• Oh.

Ok, for some reason I really liked the idea of analyzing what's going on my network for the week. Potentially finding some malware / misconfigurations.

Right now I feel I need to see it live for detecting threats.

Thanks for your replies. Grandrivers you made me laugh!

• Banned

I'd really suggest to go through the preferences menu in ntopng (not the pfSense package GUI). Namely the On-Disk Timeseries and On-Disk Databases tab.

• Here are my settings (ntopng)
    (please see attached)

Am I missing something?

• I analyzed the symptoms a bit more I found out that it does in fact record historical data. However, I seem to lose this data every time I reboot pfSense.

• Banned

Not really sure which pfSense version you are using. The historical data thing is simply gone from ntopng 2.4 package (available on 2.3.3/2.4). End of story.

$ pkg search ntopng
    ntopng-2.4.2016.10.14          Network monitoring tool with command line and web interfaces
    pfSense-pkg-ntopng-0.8.6       pfSense package ntopng

P.S. If you are using ramdisks, then kindly stop. Otherwise it will indeed lose all data on every reboot.

• Version: 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1

I am not using ramdisks.

Do you have a suggestion for an alternative ?

• Banned

No. It simply works for me. Definitely nothing gone on reboot.

• I reinstalled the package, let's see how it goes.

thanks for your help

• If you go to Hosts > Some local host > Activity Map, does the chart reset after a pfsense reboot? Mine does reset.

However, if I go to the timeline chart section, it actually shows historical data.