[SOLVED] Problem setting static IP address



  • This has to be something stupid I'm doing, but I can't figure it out:

    I have a valid subnet from my ISP, 200.225.216.152/29, gateway 200.225.216.158.

    However, while trying to set a static IP address for the WAN interface (200.225.216.153/29), and the above gateway (200.225.216.158), the system won't let me save settings, with the error message:

    A valid gateway must be specified

    Can anyone tell me what's the problem with the above addressing?

    [edit: I'm on 2.4.0 beta, FWIW]



  • You sure your ISP is actually giving you static ip's to start with?  Let alone, 8 of them…  Simply because your isp puts you in a /29 doesn't mean anything..  Set up your isp wan gateway as dhcp and let it take whatever the isp sends.  Once you have your assigned ip, then if you're positive they won't change it on you, set it to static with the right subnet, etc..  I'm always leery of being away and the isp network changing something and I'm sol until I can get back.  I can trust what I control, not what some other nut can...



  • Yeah, I have double-checked with my ISP, and they expect a static IP config on my side (no DHCP here…) - but my issue is a simple one: the gateway 200.225.216.158 is a valid one for the subnet 200.225.216.152/29 (I have run the numbers thru an online IP subnet calculator, just to make sure that my subnetting skills were not too rusty), but apparently pfSense thinks otherwise: I can't even save this static IP configuration, let alone test if it routes traffic or not…



  • I just did this successfully on a test interface here.

    Set your interface address and save.

    Go to System/Routing/Gateways and add it there.  I ran into the error message as well trying to do it from the interface page so yes looks like a bug.



  • Try the fix in issue https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/7452
    PR https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense/pull/3689

    It was not saving any gateway added on the interfaces page.



  • The suggestion by chpalmer did work - and nice to know that it was an actual issue that has been fixed.

    Thanks a bunch!

    Marcello


Log in to reply