XMLRPC Sync Failure
I just tried the latest image and I couldn't get the XMLRPC Sync to work. I tried user name of admin and a very simple password of all letters and it failed with the following error message:
Exception calling XMLRPC method host_firmware_version #-1 : Authentication failed: Invalid username or password @ 2017-10-05 21:36:05
I reinstalled down to 2.3.4-release and it works with the same configuration I had in.
both boxes running same 2.4 snapshot version? both boxes with http or both with https on the same port, with same password set on both?
Same ISO was used to install both. Both were clean installs. Both using HTTPS on the default port. Both had the same password.
After I couldn't get the clean install working i tried this:
i got both boxes running 2.3.4_1 working successfully.
I ran the update on both(copied from the upgrade window of one of them):
Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
pfSense-kernel-pfSense: 2.3.4_1 -> 2.4.0.r.20171006.0644 [pfSense-core]
pfSense-rc: 2.3.4_1 -> 2.4.0.r.20171006.0644 [pfSense-core]
After the update it fails to sync again:
Exception calling XMLRPC method host_firmware_version #-1 : Authentication failed: Invalid username or password @ 2017-10-06 18:47:07
I just tried upgrading to the 2.4.1 Release from a working 2.3.4 and i am still having this same issue. I tried retyping the user/password in and still not working.
Updated to this version on both:
built on Sun Oct 22 17:26:33 CDT 2017
Exception calling XMLRPC method host_firmware_version #-1 : Authentication failed: Invalid username or password @ 2017-10-25 16:32:34
How do I troubleshoot this further?
What shows in the main system log on both units when this happens?
Sync is working perfectly fine here on multiple 2.4.x clusters.
Using the 'admin' user? and no 'strange' characters in the password?
So you have any special authentication options set for the webgui? LDAP or otherwise? Can the backup server properly authenticate the user against ldap? diagnostics\authenticate?
Since I am going to be out of the office for a bit, I ended up rolling back to the working snapshot on 2.3.4 for now so our test environment is working for our other IT staff. I will try more stuff when I get back in the office.
It is using the admin user, there are symbols in the password(shift of the numbers on US keyboard), no characters that require alt codes to type in. Just using the admin account on the the pfsense box, not using any special authentication options on the pfsense boxes at all.
I can login successfully with no problems at all to the backup server.
One guy found that space characters where a problem i could indeed reproduce that and think i have fixed it: https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/8032#note-1
I changed the space to an underscore and it works great now. No idea of why it didn't work the first time when i changed it to all letters, but it is working this round after changing out the space.
Thanks for the help.