Updraded to Quad Core Atom E3845 PIA VPN Now Very Slow 2.4.1
I have been running Pfsense in Hyper -V on both 2.3.4 and 2.4.1 with 2 cores of an E3 1226 V3 XEON and I am able to basically max my internet speed using PIA @ 200Mbps. I got tired of losing internet when having to work on my server with Hyper-V so I purchased a Protectlii.
Long story short, max I can get now is 70ish Mbps. I tried 2.3.4 and 2.4.1. CPU usage from Tops seems ok so I don't know what gives. I even get max performance on an old AMD 9550 quad core phenom.
Tops CPU usage
Any thoughts on what to check? I am running 2.4.1 on my AMD box and running tests on the protectli using a VM at same time.
Quad Core Atom E3845 1.91GHz, 2MB L2 Cache
CPU Supports AES-NI
4GB DDR3L RAM and 32GB mSATA SSD
4 Intel Gigabit Ethernet Ports
I installed Pfsense 2.4.1 on my spare system i5 7500T and rebuilt PIA VPN from scratch and I have the same problem. So I would guess the PIA VPN setting that needs to be different?
Original settings = 200Mbps internet speed
I have changed these settings
On 2.4.1 with i5 processor = 20Mbps
explicit-exit-notify 2 ifconfig-nowarn tls-client persist-key persist-tun persist-remote-ip remote-cert-tls server keepalive 10 120 reneg-sec 0 auth-nocache fast-io sndbuf 524288 rcvbuf 524288
persist-key persist-tun persist-remote-ip remote-cert-tls server keepalive 10 120 reneg-sec 0 auth-nocache fast-io sndbuf 524288 rcvbuf 524288
or PIA suggested settings
persist-key persist-tun remote-cert-tls server reneg-sec 0
Compression is adaptive LZO legacy. looks closest to 2.3.4 adaptive compression. So what gives here?
bcruze last edited by
I’m using the latest pfsense on a sg2220 with strong encryption.. my udp Connection is my FULL internet speed.. you might email PIA for the directions
I also have aes ni enabled
Well i seem to be back to normal. I had the test pfsense behind a VM and that seemed to be affecting it. Connected my i5 Pfsense to my main network and performance is ok. It's a bit erratic if I change anything, going from 200 Mbps to 40 then back. Could be PIA.
citrus_cosmic last edited by
I have the same issue and the same device from amazon that sheen73 has, I have a Gigabit connection, with PIA defaults I only get 40Mbps :(
In the UI I changed the Send/Receive Buffer to 512K and UDP Fast I/O to true.
My speed increased to 130Mbps… all my NICs support Gigabit.