Squid + MAC adresses + mailreport
In a tourism environment we have
- 1 FW with Captive Portal (+ bandwidth restriction) - guests
- 4 FW with traffic shaping (limiters + queues) - offices
In order to avoid problems with authorities we have to record some info otherwise we will be responsible for any use of our connections.
I would like to:
- Get the arp table and dhcp logs (in order to have all the mac&ip info). Enough?
- Get the captive portal authentication log which I suppose contains relevant info
- Get the “navigation” log (visited urls)
- Send it by email once a week
I think I should go this way:
- install squid (transparent proxy) and light squid
- install mailreport and configure in System / Advanced / Notifications & Status / Email Reports
- modify squid to log mac addresses like this:
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=121387.0 -> otherwise I will see IPs which rotate frequently (few people change their mac address)
- send weekly reports with the dhcp log, captive portal authentication, arp table (how?) and light squid logs (lighttpd_lightsquid?)
- rotate squid logs monthly
Is this possible? Can you point me to commands for mail report?
PD Update: After installing Squid the limiters queues do not limit bandwith anymore… Tried in Kbps and Mbps. Also tried with squid normal transparent and quid iptomac. Any workaround?