Bind - Setup pfSense as slave DNS server

• Hey guys, I need a tutorial on how to setup my pfSense as an external slave DNS server. I couln'd find anything so I came here for help.
    I've downloaded Bind package but I'm not sure how to configure each tab.

Thank you already.

• pfSense is a firewall not a (public) domain name server, use a dedicated box/VM for that.

• Rebel Alliance Global Moderator

I would concur with Grimson here.. While sure you can use bind on pfsense - your public dns should really be on a box dedicated to that.. There are multiple services that will host it for you for pennies really. Some even free options - HE will be your secondary NS for free for like 50 domains or something.

Where is your primary NS? Your secondary should be on different netblock, and different geographic location even. The services that host your dns for you do that for their bread and butter and reside on large global anycast networks so they dont go down, can handle attacks, etc. etc..

I have been doing dns for 20 some years - and for major players with 1000s of domains.. You don't host your own public dns in this day an age - there is zero benefit in doing it.. If your really really want to - then just get a vps somewhere and host it there. Not your firewall.

• @johnpoz said in Bind - Setup pfSense as slave DNS server:

I would concur with Grimson here.. While sure you can use bind on pfsense - your public dns should really be on a box dedicated to that.. There are multiple services that will host it for you for pennies really. Some even free options - HE will be your secondary NS for free for like 50 domains or something.

Where is your primary NS? Your secondary should be on different netblock, and different geographic location even. The services that host your dns for you do that for their bread and butter and reside on large global anycast networks so they dont go down, can handle attacks, etc. etc..

I have been doing dns for 20 some years - and for major players with 1000s of domains.. You don't host your own public dns in this day an age - there is zero benefit in doing it.. If your really really want to - then just get a vps somewhere and host it there. Not your firewall.

Hmmm I see. My primary DNS is in another country, so I thought maybe it would me good to setup my secondary DNS here.
    Thanks you for your help, Sir.

• Rebel Alliance Global Moderator

You only have 1 NS currently? Shoot many registrars will not even allow you to setup only 1 NS.. You should always have 2.. What/Where are you hosting your NS on currently.

• @johnpoz said in Bind - Setup pfSense as slave DNS server:

You only have 1 NS currently? Shoot many registrars will not even allow you to setup only 1 NS.. You should always have 2.. What/Where are you hosting your NS on currently.

I had two, but my second one is off for now, so I want to setup a new one.

• @grimson said in Bind - Setup pfSense as slave DNS server:

pfSense is a firewall not a (public) domain name server, use a dedicated box/VM for that.

What are the cons of setting up a DNS slave server in my pfSense?

© Copyright 2002 - 2018 Rubicon Communications, LLC | Privacy Policy