TNSR with ESXI VMXNET3 -- not recognized

• I've loaded TNSR on ESXI 6.7 with the VMWare tools. The network drivers are all set for VMXNET3. When TNSR boots, I get my management interface and its address. I then try:

config terminal
    dataplane dpdk dev <PCI address of card 2> network
    dataplane dpdk dev <PCI address of card 3> network
    service datplane restart
    exit

When I do a show interfaces, nothing appears. What uio-driver should I be using?

• Netgate Administrator

Try removing any settings you put in the dataplane dpdk section (devices, uio-driver, etc..), save your config and restart the dataplane. Then set the uio driver to vfio-pci (dataplane dpdk uio-driver vfio-pci). After doing so, add your DPDK network devices, commit your config, and restart the dataplane. If the interfaces still do not appear, verify the vfio-pci module is loaded by running this command from the shell: lsmod | grep vfio_pci

If it's not loaded, try loading the module from the shell: modprobe vfio_pci. If you receive an error, try modprobe vfio (you may need to load vfio_pci after this).

• Re: TNSR with ESXI VMXNET3 -- not recognized

Per your suggestion, I did that -- and I see the vfio_pci driver loading, but it complains it cannot probe the two VMXNET3 PCI devices (Error -22)

• Netgate Administrator

I booted up a VM I have running on ESXI 6.7:
    VMXNET 3
    DirectPath I/O: Enabled
    Guest Managed VMware Tools: 10309 (openvm-tools v10.2.5)

The network interfaces allocated for TNSR are set to use the uio_pci_generic driver.

Can you try the following:

1. Verify the sysconfig network-script for the interfaces that you want to allocate for TNSR are marked with:
    ONBOOT=no
    NM_CONTROLLED=no

Example:
    pci@0000:0b:00.0 | GigabitEthernetb/0/0 | ens192
    sudo vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ens192
    (append the ONBOOT and NM_CONTROLLED parameters to the bottom of the file if not present)

1. Set the uio-driver back to uio_pci_generic (save your config to startup after this)

Once this is done, reboot the system and see if the interfaces are allocated and accessible. If they are not, try adding this to /etc/vpp/startup followed by a restart of the VPP service from the shell:

no-tx-checksum-offload
    socket-mem 128

If you still have issues, please provide the output from the following shell commands:

lshw -class network | grep -A 4 VM
    sudo vppctl show hardware
    sudo vppctl show pci