Pfsense block program?

• simple question maybe sounds silly..
    how to block angry ipscanner?
    or i juz block the icmp?? is it solve the problem?

is pfsense can do that?

• Use snort. There you can block any sort of scanners. On the other hand, scanners do not really hurt.

• @Monoecus:

Use snort. There you can block any sort of scanners. On the other hand, scanners do not really hurt.

so what attack do u think that really hurtfull  :P

• DDoS
    buffer overflow exploits (if present in the underlaying system/driver)
    More a problem of the hosts/clients behind the pfSense: trojans, various ways of code injection.
    PEBKAC exploits (send an email to an employee with fake sender: "please change your password to xyz" and then log in with his credentials.)

I think you can think of more attacks yourself or just use google…

• @GruensFroeschli:

DDoS
    buffer overflow exploits (if present in the underlaying system/driver)
    More a problem of the hosts/clients behind the pfSense: trojans, various ways of code injection.
    PEBKAC exploits (send an email to an employee with fake sender: "please change your password to xyz" and then log in with his credentials.)

I think you can think of more attacks yourself or just use google…

okay how bout the anticipation the attack using PF sense?
    1.DDOS = juz turn off the ICMP.. no client can ping server/router is it right?
    2.More a problem of the hosts/clients behind the pfSense = juz install antivirus and make it limited account (is it solve ?)
    3.buffer overflow = no idea how to solve it
    4.PEBKAC exploit = actually that's not a threat if we using limited account.. right?

• @iamthed:

Doesn't matter. Any DDoS attack is going to knock you off the Internet unless you have a huge amount of bandwidth. State limiting can be effective here if you have a huge amount of bandwidth, otherwise there just isn't anything you can do, you're reliant on your ISP.

@iamthed:

Those things help, but don't solve the problem. Lot more to this than can be offered in a forum post, check out some security books.