New GPS for NTP server

• I have been using a Sure GPS now for many years.

Built a new PFSense box here recently and purchased:

1 - NEO-8M GPS Satellite Positioning Module for Arduino STM32 C51 replace NEO-7M (Ebay)
    2 - TTL RS-232 board and wired PPS to Pin #1 on RS-232

Programmed the board using NMEA 4.0

Configured in PFSense as a U-Blox / 9600 baud all sentences for time bean.
    I see the NMEA sentences fine via cat gps0.

First time I connected it it worked fine and saw number of satellites et al.

Then I played with the GPS some and now cannot see the satellite view.

I do see the sentences that indicate number of satellites seen.

Anybody using one of these?

• Replying to my own post figured out (guessing mostly) the configuration with the Neo-8M GPS Satellite board U-Blox Windows programming software.

gps.jpg

Will post configuration used to make this work for me.

• Thanks Pete: I for one am watching this thread with interest. :)

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

I would think multiple people would be interested in a full write up of how to do this..

You have to do some soldering I'm guessing to get this all connected?

• Did do a short write up on another forum a while ago. The easiest part of this endeavor was soldering for the PPS signal.

Original documentation used is located here for Sure GPS.

hxxps://satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

PFSense computer:

qotomcomputer.jpg

This was done for a family member. Doing another one here to replace my current PFSense box with 6 Intel Gb ports. This box should fit nicely inside of my Leviton Media panel (42"). Do a primary ISP connection here with a cellular modem failover. (network and phone line).

Parts list:

1 - GPS with PPS for time sync via serial port

GPS with RS-232 with PPS - NEO-8M GPS Satellite Positioning Module for Arduino STM32 C51 $7.49 (Ebay)
    GPS3.jpg

2 - GPS Antenna (optional)
    gpsantenna.jpg

3 - TTL to RS-232 converter Amazon ($7.00)
    GPS2.jpg

PPS configuration. Plug in to PPS pin on GPS and solder other side to RS-232 pin #1.

GPS1.jpg

4 - USB datablocker for powering up the GPS -

Programming to the GPS is done via U-Blox software via USB cable which provides power and a serial connection to GPS.

Download U-Center for Windows programming tool here:

hxxps://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/u-centersetup_v19.06.zip

ucenter.jpg

U-Center user guide:

hxxps://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/u-center_UserGuide_%28UBX-13005250%29.pdf

By default the GPS will output both on the USB port and Serial port. You can see both by using a USB to Serial device.

Will post configurations and screens. It is only 3-4 adjustments.

• @pete said in New GPS for NTP server:

NEO-8M GPS Satellite Positioning Module for Arduino

I have U-blox already due a dongle I have.. Nice to know.

The pfsense widget though?? Is that automagically or did you make any changes?

Thank Pete!

• For PFSense you need to utilize a serial to TTL device and add a PPS line.

The PFSense NTP serial settings are there and it did work out of the box until I tinkered with the programming software.

I used a USB data blocker for powering the device.

GPS ==> TTL to RS232 plus PPS ==> computer RS-232 port
    ==> USB ==> data blocker ==> PFSense computer USB port for power.

Here is a splat of images for the configuration that I used and saved to the GPS.
    It gets a bit confusing as there are many settings. You just have to remember to send the settings to the GPS and save the configuration to the GPS so that it survives a reboot.

Note changed the boot up baud rate to 4800 as I was using 19200 and it did not always work on reboot of PFSense box.

gpsconfig.jpg

• This post is deleted!

• Initially when I installed the Sure GPS I put it in the attic of a two story home. Used a cat5e wire with RS-232 ends to it going to the basement "server room". Recently moved it such that it faced a basement window facing the south east. For setting up this GPS just had the antenna next to a door which faced south east and it worked great.