Supermicro Xeon D X10SDV-4C+-TP4F with 10Gb SFP+ pfSense compatibility?

• I would like to build my own 10Gb SFP+ router using a Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TP4F motherboard. Any suggestions on investigating compatibility of this board, particularly the INPHI CS4227SFP 10Gb SFP+ ports? It also has a pair of 1Gbe I210 LAN ports. This is the 35W TDP Xeon D-1518 4-core.

Right now I have 1Gb/40Mb hybrid fiber coax, but this will likely increase in the future to 2Gb or greater. I need to switch >1Gb on the LAN side to support my 10Gb RAID NAS, future 802.11ax access point at 2.5Gb, and a 10Gb desktop PC. So strictly speaking today I don't have >1Gb WAN to warrant the 10Gb SFP router, but I'm on the brink and don't want to replace my obsolete router with something not spec'd for years of service.

• @lifespeed See post below.

I think this will come with the 10G 722 NICs that use the ixl driver. There are some issue with VLAN updates when in LAGGs.

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/145869/intel-10g-aq_error-14-did-anyone-find-a-fix-for-2-4-4-p3

We're using SYS-E300-9D-4CN8TP and added additional NIC's to get round this.

Hope this helps.

Hass

• The motherboard in the server you referenced appears to be X11SDV-4C-TP8F. It has both 10Gb SFP+ as well as 10Gbase-T. The specific SFP+ chipset does not appear to be specified in the motherboard manual. You mention "722 nic's", but it isn't clear these are what is on the X10SDV-4C+-TP4F motherboard referenced in my first post, where the motherboard datasheet diagram shows "INPHI CS4227SFP" for 10Gb SFP+.

Are we talking about the same animal? Also I'm a little unsure of the nature of the problem, if it even applies to my candidate motherboard. Something to do with LAGG (link aggregation)? I read the link you posted, but I'm not quite following exactly what the problem is.

• @lifespeed I think all the XEON D Supermicro's come with the same 700 10 NIC's.

The ones in ours register as:

dev.ixl.3.%desc:
    Intel(R) Ethernet Connection 700 Series PF Driver, Version

The issue we and others have hard are when you perform Interface/VLAN updates on IXL nic's in a LAGG we get a panic/flapping and we lose the connections for 1-2 minutes. It seems related to using VLAN's

I'm not sure if the issues is there if you're not using a LAG.

It was more a heads up/fyi

Hass

• I definitely appreciate the heads up on a potentially troublesome problem. Looking at the pfSense bug report it may have been addressed in FreeBSD12?

How would I know if this would affect me or not, I think everybody eventually uses VLAN? I don't plan to use link aggregation, though. In fact my plan is to use one 10Gb SFP+ to the LAN switch, and one 1GB I210 Intel NIC to the WAN.

• @lifespeed yeah I think it will be fixed in pfSense 2.5 probably some way out. I'm not sure outside of testing it. I know it has the issue when in a LAGG and it's related to VLAN updates but don;t know if using single links if it would be a problem

• @Hass, I definitely appreciate the heads-up. I'm no IT expert, this is a bit of a stretch for me. But it is clear my 10-year-old "prosumer" router has to go, and I wanted to do something with some growing room.

The error you describe could really stump a novice like myself. If I were to encounter it in my configuration . . .

• Hi @lifespeed - I'm using the Supermicro 5018D-F8NT system with pfSense, which is based on this board:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SDV-TP8F

In terms of specifications, this board looks very similar to the one you linked to. In my case, the onboard SFP+ interfaces are actually using the ix (ixgbe) driver in pfSense / FreeBSD as opposed to the ixl drivers.

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ix&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+11.3-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html

I'm thinking this may be the case for the X10SDV-4C+-TP4F as well. Overall, this setup has been flawless with the exception of this issue (which has only been occurring recently):

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/147301/sfp-ixgbe-network-interface-won-t-come-back-up

Hopefully this will resolved in the next version of pfSense and newer version of FreeBSD.

Hope this helps.

• @tman222, thanks for sharing your experiences. It sounds a little flaky, but not insurmountable. It sounds like a few people are looking forward to some fixes in the new version, which is not the greatest position to be in.

I'm not sure there are many other good options for 10Gb SFP router hardware.

• @lifespeed said in Supermicro Xeon D X10SDV-4C+-TP4F with 10Gb SFP+ pfSense compatibility?:

@tman222, thanks for sharing your experiences. It sounds a little flaky, but not insurmountable. It sounds like a few people are looking forward to some fixes in the new version, which is not the greatest position to be in.

I'm not sure there are many other good options for 10Gb SFP router hardware.

Hi @lifespeed - the other option would be to use an SFP+ add-on card. I have used both the Chelsio T520 and T540 SFP+ cards (in fact the T540 is currently installed) and these have been rock solid.