Gateway : increased ping latency depending on the ESXi version from the web interface (not from SSH)
gauthi3r last edited by gauthi3r
I am currently experiencing a somewhat strange problem that I cannot fully understand.
the context :
- ESXi host: Supermicro SYS-E300-8D
- Firewall Virtual Appliance: PfSense 2.4.4-P3
- Tested with E1000E and VMXNET3 for network interface same issue
- Supermicro SYS-E300-8D BIOS and Firmware are up to date
- Vmtools Ok
I regularly update my ESXi host by following vmware updates. Since I updated 14141615 I have a problem with the latency of my FTTH gateway. The latest version of ESXi with which I have no problem is version 13981272.
Following various tests, I determined that the problem was most likely software and related to the way pfsense displays gateway monitoring.
my normal ping latency is between 6.6 to 7ms.
when i have the problem, my latency ping is very unstable (between 6.6ms to 18ms !)
Here are two screenshots:
The first with last esxi build 151xxxxxx the problem between latency from webui and latency from ssh ping :
The second with the esxi build 13981272 with no difference between latency from webui and from ssh ping :
Others things :
- My 2 cisco switches are up to date
- About the screens my firewall ip is : 172.16.2.1 and DNS is firewall.house.lan
- The bug appear only with my Supermicro SYS-E300-8D with build 14141615 minimum.
- No matter which build of ESXi is used haven’t the bug with my second ESXi (Dell hardware).
On my Supermicro SYS-E300-8D with ESXi build at least 14141615 :
- I have the same bug on fresh installation of PfSense 2.4.4-P3
- I have the same bug on fresh beta installation of PfSense 2.5.0 DEV
- I have the same bug on fresh installation of OPNSense (fork of PfSense – maybe the both firewall use the same code for gateway monitoring).
I have no other ideas to solve my problem except stay on build 13981272.
With the screen I’m sure isn’t a pure networking problem or network driver problem and maybe a pfsense bug ?
Thanks you for your help !
awebster last edited by
Because you say that you don't have the problem on a similar Dell server running the same version of ESXi, it sounds to me like it might be a physical NIC driver problem in the update of ESXi on your Supermicro server.
gauthi3r last edited by
you're right, i have solved my issue. the origin of my problem is in igbn driver. with the vmlinux driver "igb" all is fine.
you can find all details here : https://communities.vmware.com/message/2905942#2905942
thanks for your reply