LDAP SSL AD auth Issue with 2.4.5-RELEASE

• Hi there

As mentioned in the title i've got a pfsense CE firewall running 2.4.5-RELEASE. I'm trying to connect to my local AD server via LDAP with SSL. I'm not able to bind for some reason. After reading several other threads and trying all the suggestions I'm coming up short. I have another 2.3.5 firewall that can connect to the same server just fine. I can't update the firewall right away but I didn't find any LDAP SSL fixes in the release notes for newer versions.

• the CN of the cert matches the hostname of the AD server. I verified this by running this command on the firewall:
    openssl s_client -connect {the_server}:636
    subject=/CN=the_server's_hostname.foo.bar
    issuer={the_AD_cert_authority}

• The root CA cert for the CA that issued the server cert is imported as a CA and selected in the LDAP settings as described below
    • There are no intermediate certs between the LDAP server cert and CA cert
    • pfSense is attempting to use the correct CA as evidenced by the fact that it's creating a temporary file in /var/run/certs with expected CA cert
    • I checked the temporary CA file against the cert I grabbed from the openssl output above and got a match:
    [2.4.5-RELEASE][admin@thefirewall]/var/run/certs: openssl verify -verbose -CAfile 5ef664ff38d6c.ca server_cert.crt 
    server_cert.crt: OK

• A packet capture shows that the firewall is responding to the LDAP server that the cert presented doesn't match the CA:
    TLSv1.2 Record Layer: Alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Unknown CA)

Settings:
    Hostname or IP address: {the AD server}
    Port value: 636
    Transport: SSL - Encrypted
    Peer Certificate Authority: {the_AD_cert_authority}
    Protocol version: 3
    Server Timeout: 25
    Search scopeLevel: Entire Subtree

Base DN: {Tree root}
    Authentication containers: {OU of admins}
    Extended query: unchecked
    Bind anonymous: unchecked
    Bind credentials: DOMAIN\binduser

User naming attribute: samAccountName
    Group naming attribute: cn
    Group member attribute: memberOf
    RFC 2307 Groups: unchecked
    Group Object Class: posixGroup
    UTF8 Encode: unchecked
    Username Alterations: unchecked

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Forgot to mention I have multiple 2.4.4 firewalls with the same issue.

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

Hostname or IP address: {the AD server}

Is that the hostname or an IP address? Is that hostname or IP address listed in the server certificate SAN list?

• @jimp it's the fully qualified hostname which matches the subject and SAN of the server certificate.

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

OK. First things first, try to run options 16 and 11 from the console (ssh or serial/video console), or reboot after making any changes to the LDAP auth config. Sometimes the PHP LDAP environment gets out of sync and the 16/11 combo is the fastest way to ensure it's consistent.