Note to all people testing on 2.5 and using PPPoE



  • Hi Just a heads up really for anyone who is running the preview release and use pppoe.

    I just updated my box as I was about 74 days behind, only for pppoe to completely break. I thought it was the ISP initially, as I was getting no response to my Pad-Is. However it turned out to be this issue. ie you must manually set the MTU now to 1508 rather than leaving the field blank.

    I thought I would mention it as it could well have people scratching their heads for quite a while. Luckily I found it quite early on, so thanks to Louis van Breda, for mentioning it.

    https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/10597


  • Netgate Administrator

    The generated mpd conf file appears to be identical to 2.4.5p1.

    Are you actually seeing a difference there? Or in ifconfig?

    Setting that in the config removes the mpd conf line:
    set link mtu 1492

    And adds:
    set pppoe max-payload 1508

    Does your connection require a service name or unique ID?

    Steve



  • Hello,

    I did report earlier on this problem and did even make a critical bug report, because I was afraid others would run into the same problem very soon. That was not appreciated ...

    https://forum.netgate.com/topic/154490/todays-14-6-build-broke-pppoe-internet-connection-fatal/8

    The problem is not the value of the MTU-field (I have 1500), the problem is that there should be some value in the MTU field (if this field is blank ....) does not work any longer.

    I hope NetGate will fix it!

    Louis


  • Netgate Administrator

    AFAIK we are unable to replicate that locally. Certainly it works fine for me.

    We need to see the working and failing mpd conf files, the config that generates them and the logs they produce when trying to connect if you can get them.

    Steve



  • @stephenw10

    It would be helpfull if you decribe which files you exactly need. I did a find / -name "mpd" on the command line

    /dev/dumpdev
    /usr/lib/debug/usr/sbin/bsnmpd.debug
    /usr/local/include/unicode/smpdtfmt.h
    /usr/local/share/licenses/mpd5-5.8_10
    /usr/local/share/pear/tests/XML_RPC2/tests/XML_RPC2/phpBackend/cachedServer/tmpdir.inc
    /usr/local/share/pear/tests/XML_RPC2/tests/XML_RPC2/phpBackend/cachedClient/tmpdir.inc
    /usr/local/share/pear/tests/XML_RPC2/tests/XML_RPC2/xmlrpcextBackend/cachedClient/tmpdir.inc
    /usr/local/share/pear/tests/XML_RPC2/tests/XML_RPC2/xmlrpcextBackend/cachedServer/tmpdir.inc
    /usr/local/share/pear/tests/Cache_Lite/tests/tmpdir.inc
    /usr/local/etc/mpd5
    /usr/local/etc/mpd5/mpd.secret.sample
    /usr/local/etc/mpd5/mpd.conf.sample
    /usr/local/etc/mpd5/mpd.script.sample
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mpd5
    /usr/local/man/man8/mpd5.8.gz
    /usr/local/sbin/mpd5
    /usr/local/sbin/mpd.script
    /usr/sbin/bsnmpd
    /var/etc/mpd.script
    /var/etc/mpd_wan.conf
    /etc/snmpd.config
    /etc/rc.d/bsnmpd
    /etc/dumpdates

    So please mark what you need. Note that I will be away for a few days.

    Louis


  • Netgate Administrator

    Sorry, it's /var/etc/mpd_wan.conf in your case but that does change with the interface it's running on.

    That is the actual file loaded by mpd5 so if there is some chnage the gui is making that's where is will be. On my box for example:

    root    31538   0.0  0.4 14460  8240  -  Ss   16Aug20     1:04.92 /usr/local/sbin/mpd5 -b -k -d /var/etc -f mpd_opt4.conf -p /var/run/pppoe_opt4.pid -s ppp pppoeclient
    

    Steve



  • @stephenw10

    Here my actual (working) mpd_wan.conf I will try to send a non working version in my next post

    Louis

    startup:
    # configure the console
    set console close
    # configure the web server
    set web close

    default:
    pppoeclient:
    create bundle static wan
    set bundle enable ipv6cp
    set iface name pppoe1
    set iface disable on-demand
    set iface idle 0
    set iface enable tcpmssfix
    set iface up-script /usr/local/sbin/ppp-linkup
    set iface down-script /usr/local/sbin/ppp-linkdown
    set ipcp ranges 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
    set ipcp enable req-pri-dns
    set ipcp enable req-sec-dns
    #log -bund -ccp -chat -iface -ipcp -lcp -link

    create link static wan_link0 pppoe
    set link action bundle wan
    set link disable multilink
    set link keep-alive 10 60
    set link max-redial 0
    set link disable chap pap
    set link accept chap pap eap
    set link disable incoming
    set auth authname "<myname>"
    set auth password something
    set pppoe service "INTERNET"
    set pppoe max-payload 1500
    set pppoe iface em0.6
    open


  • I just removed the MTU-value and restarted pfSense

    After that:

    • the PPPOE interface was still working .....

    And I noticed two differences in the mpd_wan.conf

    create link static wan_link0 pppoe
    set link action bundle wan
    set link disable multilink
    set link keep-alive 10 60
    set link max-redial 0
    set link disable chap pap
    set link accept chap pap eap
    set link disable incoming
    ==> NEW   set link mtu 1492
    set auth authname "<myname>"
    set auth password something
    set pppoe service "INTERNET"
    ==> GONE set pppoe max-payload 1500
    set pppoe iface em0.6
    open
    

    I do not know, why the interface is still working now or why it did not work in the past.

    I will keep the actual setting for the next weeks, to see if it stays working.

    Louis


  • Netgate Administrator

    Hmm.

    Well at least that's the same as what I found above so there's not something odd with your system specifically.

    It would be interesting to know what that file was on a snapshot before you started seeing this.

    Let us know if that changes.

    Steve


Log in to reply