OpenVPN Issues setting static ip for clients

  • Here's the copy and paste from the config of the openvpn section, I've removed the TLS key data and changed any other info in it I found shouldn't be publicly viewed.

    			<authmode>Local Database</authmode>

    Also I did find in the config this:


    I have WAN1 and WAN2 both which are DHCP.

    In the system logs I do have see that rc.newwanip was executed on WAN1.

    When I say "doubling" for the config directives I mean inside the actual csc files the custom option is being placed in it twice on 2 new lines.

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    Your doubling is because you are saying the same thing twice: You only need to specify the tunnel network there. Your custom option line is doing the exact same thing is as the tunnel network setting.

    That shouldn't cause the disappearances, but I'll see if I can reproduce that again.

  • Ok you are correct as I removed the tunneling network setting and the doubling went away.
    Now to resolve the vanishing client config files and we set :)

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    It should be fixed now. I never saw it because my IPs never change on the boxes that had OpenVPN CSC entries. The rc.newwanip call made it resync the CSC entries, and the resync function thought they were disabled.

    I fixed the code to handle the "disabled" setting consistently, but that also means after your next update/gitsync they will all appear to be disabled. Just edit them all and uncheck disabled, then save, and it will be OK from then on.

  • How do I apply this fix ?
    Do I download another snapshot and if so which one ?

    Is there a way that I can manually execute the resync ?

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    If you are on a recent snapshot, you can do a gitsync:

  • How long does this gitsync usally take cause it's been going for the last 2 hrs?

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    Usually it's only a few minutes, unless it has to download and install the git packages, which can be very large.

  • Maybe I'll wait for a snapshot release cause this either is taking forever to download what it needs (i've already done pkg_add -r git) or something is broken.

    Any idea when a snapshot including this fix would come out ?

  • Ok seems to be a problem with the gitSync, here's a copy and paste from my session with my pfsense box.

    # pfSsh.php playback gitsync master
    Starting the pfSense shell system................
    ===> Checking out master
    Executing cd /root/pfsense//pfSenseGITREPO && git clone pfSenseGITREPO
    error: Unable to get pack index
    error: Unable to find 7d7992cd5b725e801e8979a4284a103b1803d5dc under
    Cannot obtain needed object 7d7992cd5b725e801e8979a4284a103b1803d5dc
    error: Fetch failed.
    cd: can't cd to /root/pfsense//pfSenseGITREPO/pfSenseGITREPO
    cd: can't cd to /root/pfsense//pfSenseGITREPO/pfSenseGITREPO
    cd: can't cd to /root/pfsense//pfSenseGITREPO/pfSenseGITREPO
    ===> Installing new files...
    cd: can't cd to /root/pfsense//pfSenseGITREPO/pfSenseGITREPO
    ===> Removing FAST-CGI temporary files...
    ===> Upgrading configuration (if needed)...
    ===> Restarting check_reload_status...
    ===> Configuring filter...
    ===> Running /etc/rc.php_ini_setup...
    ===> Locking down the console if needed...
    ===> Signaling PHP and Lighty restart...
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/sbin/pfSsh.php(334) : eval()'d code on line 293
    ===> Checkout complete.
    Your system is now sync'd and PHP and Lighty will be restarted in 5 seconds.

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    Hmm, I've not seen that happen before, personally.

    There should be a snap out now that has the fixes in.

  • Ok well I edited the file that you updated by hand and your right when I checked the client overrides they showed disabled so I re-enabled them and all seemed fine till I woke up this morning and found the client overrides AGAIN disabled.

    Is there still a bug ?

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    I'd wait until you get a snapshot that has the fixes in it before passing judgment, to avoid the possibility of an error in applying the fixes by hand.

  • ok I've applied the snapshot and will wait it out to see whats going to happen but I've run across a new issue now.

    my vpn clients appear connected in but their common names show "UNDEF" and they don't show a virtual address, any reason this would happen?

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    Nothing I can see. It's possible the status format of openvpn changed recently, I believe the binary was updated to a new version in the last week or so.

  • Actually this seems to ONLY happen when the client tries to connect using the ip address of WAN2 but if they use the ip address of WAN1 it's fine.
    So is this a bug ?

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    Not sure on that one. Are you using a single OpenVPN instance on both WANs or two different ones?

  • One OpenVPN instance on both WAN's yes.

  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    If you are using UDP, that won't work without some NAT trickery (run it on LAN, port forward OpenVPN from both WANs to LAN IP)

    It should work with TCP, but I've never tried it. It's possible that OpenVPN's internal status format shows differently for that, but I'd need to see its raw output to know for sure. If you have someone on both WAN and WAN2, try this:

    From a shell:
    #telnet localhost <openvpn port="" #="">And once that connects, put in:
    status 2

    And then copy/paste that output here.</openvpn>

  • Ok I switched from UDP to TCP and all seems to be working perfectly now.
    Sorry I did the switch before I read this post so I was unable to get the status like you wanted.

Log in to reply