Does it matter which interface tab I put my rules in?

• One thing that is confusing me about pfSense:

I have three interfaces:  LAN, WAN and DMZ and thus three rule tabs, one tab for each interface.

When I create a new rule in any of the three tabs, it gives me the option to choose which interface I want to make a rule for… even though it seems that would be implied based off of which tab I was  working with already.

So my question is, does it really matter where the rules go?  Are the tabs there simply to help you organize?  If I create a rule for the DMZ interface in the LAN tab, does that matter?  Does it make a difference if it was in the LAN tab instead of the DMZ tab?

Just a little bit confusing from an interface standpoint of view.  So hopefully someone can clear it up for me.  I have a feeling that it doesn't matter which tab the rules are in, but I just want to make sure.

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

It does matter. Changing that drop-down moves the rule to the tab for the interface you choose. Letting you pick the interface is an easy way to clone or move a rule to other interfaces.

Rules are processed as a packet enters the interface chosen for the rule, and they are evaluated in a top-down manner.

• @jimp:

It does matter. Changing that drop-down moves the rule to the tab for the interface you choose. Letting you pick the interface is an easy way to clone or move a rule to other interfaces.

Rules are processed as a packet enters the interface chosen for the rule, and they are evaluated in a top-down manner.

That makes sense. Thanks!

• The only difference when clicking the add button on different tabs is which interface is selected by default.  When you select a different interface on the rule you are adding, it will appear on the tab for that interface, not the interface you clicked the add or edit button under.