Openvpn set up, cannot browse the internet

• Sup!

Setup:

• I have set up OpenVPN and it's connecting fine and giving me IP information.
    • I have push "redirect-gateway def1" in the custom options so that the VPN becomes the default gateway, routing table is fine when connected.
    • I can reach pfSense and the LAN segment from the "pool" segment just fine (RDP, Ping, HTTP, etc).
    • I get DNS replies from pfSense when testing with nslookup.
    • I have an allow any from any to any rule on the LAN interface.

Problem:

• I cannot reach VPN clients from the LAN segment.
    • I cannot browse the internet or reach anything outside of the LAN segment.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• For the first, do the LAN hosts use the pfSense host as their default gateway, and if not have you provided a static route for the VPN subnet?

For the second, does your router know how to route traffic to the VPN subnet?

• Yes, pfSense is the default gateway for the LAN segment.

I'm not sure i understand your second question.

When i try to access a vpn client from the lan segment psSense sends it out its default gateway rather than through the tunnel:

Tracing route to 10.0.2.6 over a maximum of 30 hops

0  10.0.1.3
      1  192.168.1.1
      2  200.
      3  200.

• 10.0.2.6 is a vpn client.
    • 192.168.1.1 is the adsl modem/router. This router is configured forward everything to the pfSense interface (192.168.1.2) using the DMZ option.

A vpn client trying to access the internet returns this:

Tracing route to 4.2.2.2 over a maximum of 30 hops

0  10.0.2.6
      1  10.0.2.1
      2    *

So traffic is dying at the pfSense, which doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

• You need advanced outbound NAT to NAT the OpenVPN subnet to get to the Internet.

• Ah!

So that's what i was missing.

I created the rule and reconnected the VPN and everything is working fine.

Thanks a lot cmb!