Wonky WRT54G behavior



  • I'm using a WRT54G as a wireless AP.  I had it set up with pfSense 1.2.3 and it worked great.  Earlier this week, I built a 2.0 box and swapped everything over to that.  Using the same subnet and other settings, so I didn't need to change anything on the router.

    However, I can't seem to get some of my clients to connect.  My phone won't connect to the AP at all.  My laptop connects, but can't get an IP.  My ipod gets an IP, but doesn't have any connectivity(I may have screwed up a firewall rule).

    Anybody have any ideas?  Not sure what would cause it to suddenly start freaking out like this.  I have another router I can swap it out with, but I'd like to try and figure out what the problem is first.

    TIA.



  • This sounds unrelated to pfsense and more like a coincidence. I would reset the AP and start over from factory defaults. If clients are unable to connect to the AP then it sounds like the AP is the problem.



  • I agree that it's an AP issue.  I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything like it before.  I've never seen an AP work halfway before, and in such differing ways for each device.



  • I've had that plenty of times. It's what was the deciding factor on going dd-wrt. If you don't want to flash it then doing a 30-30-30 reset should correct your problem.



  • Actually, it looks like it's a problem with my pfSense setup.  I got the same behavior when I changed to the new router.  And when I tested by plugging in a machine to the router, I didn't get an IP.

    Thanks anyways.



  • Is the AP also a router? Did you disable all firewall settings and disable all NAT capability?



  • @tommyboy180:

    Is the AP also a router? Did you disable all firewall settings and disable all NAT capability?

    Yes, and yes.

    But like I said, it's not the problem.  I did something wrong in my 2.0 bridging setup.



  • @Bai:

    @tommyboy180:

    Is the AP also a router? Did you disable all firewall settings and disable all NAT capability?

    Yes, and yes.

    But like I said, it's not the problem.  I did something wrong in my 2.0 bridging setup.

    What's bridgged? I just have my APs on the LAN like any other client would be.



  • I don't like having my wired and wireless machines mix.  So I run them on separate interfaces.  Normally that entails running separate subnets.  But a lot of consumer stuff doesn't like running on separate subnets(itunes, etc).  So I bridge the two interfaces and then set up a firewall rule blocking all traffic from the wireless to the wired interface.  Then I can add rules to only allow what I want to pass.

    I can't seem to get it set up correctly in 2.0



  • Ah. That defiantly doesn't sound like an AP problem.



  • Well, the initial systems made it look like a connection problem.  Mostly because the embedded devices(phone and ipod) didn't give good feedback.  It wasn't until I'd swapped the AP and got the same symptoms that I realized it was a problem with my bridging.


Log in to reply