WLAN Setup in pfsense 2.0

• Dear Experts,

I am using 2.0-RC1 (i386) built on Sat Feb 26 15:30:26 EST 2011. Thanks for creating such a wonderful peace of software. I am using it on broadband connection and it is working fine. I have one LAN Pool of 192.168.2.0/24. Now want to set up my different 2nd Guest LAN Pool due to security reason. I have installed TP-Link 54MPBS PCI card TL-WN350G. It is properly detected (ath0) and installed. But when i configure it as static IP at saving the configuration, it gives kernel error and pfsense hang.

Kindly guide me to achieve my goal.

With thanks in advance.

Vijay TH
    CIS

• I hope that anyone from the forum will take care of my question. The implementation of pfsense in a organisation is in between due to this reason.

Kindly help.

• I'm not really sure, but maybe it helps to post the error message you get over here. That would give the technical guys a bit more info.

• You would probably be better off trying a more recent snapshot build. There have been a lot of changes since the build you are using.

Snapshot builds can be downloaded by going to http://snapshots.pfsense.org/FreeBSD_RELENG_8_1 then picking the appropriate architecture (i386 for 32 bit, amd64 for 64 bit).

• Thanks for reply. I am try the latest snapshot and will reply soon.

Regards…

@wallabybob:

You would probably be better off trying a more recent snapshot build. There have been a lot of changes since the build you are using.

Snapshot builds can be downloaded by going to http://snapshots.pfsense.org/FreeBSD_RELENG_8_1 then picking the appropriate architecture (i386 for 32 bit, amd64 for 64 bit).

• I have tried it. It is taking too much time to update by snapshot. Then i have burned the latest snapshots iso, but they are not booting working properly and stopping in the beginning. Kindly suggest me the working snapshot with complete name to download.

Regards…

@turiyain:

Thanks for reply. I am try the latest snapshot and will reply soon.

Regards…

@wallabybob:

You would probably be better off trying a more recent snapshot build. There have been a lot of changes since the build you are using.

• Did you try to upgrade the firmware directly from the firewall ?

• You might want to try the 1.2.3 released version rather than 2 Release Candidate, unless there's a specific feature reason.
    Worst case you run from LiveCD using a floppy or USB flash drive to store data while you test it. 
    I'm running a couple of sites that way (rather than having a HDD spinning all the time) and it's worked well, one is a Pentium-1 MMX system, the other a Pentium-2 and after initial boot they run in ram.  Stripped down they are somewhere around 15-20watts.

• Thanks for updated reply. I have downloaded pfSense 2.0 of 2nd June 2011. And it is working fine. There are some good bug fixes. But as it is concern to the Wireless LAN, not working. I think that this is not the issue with version but i am missing something important in the config way. Kindly guide me. During setup, i am following pfsense Add_WiFi_Interface.swf wing.

With Regards,

Vijay THAkur

@jvin248:

You might want to try the 1.2.3 released version rather than 2 Release Candidate, unless there's a specific feature reason.
    Worst case you run from LiveCD using a floppy or USB flash drive to store data while you test it. 
    I'm running a couple of sites that way (rather than having a HDD spinning all the time) and it's worked well, one is a Pentium-1 MMX system, the other a Pentium-2 and after initial boot they run in ram.  Stripped down they are somewhere around 15-20watts.