VLAN to VLAN

• I tried adding rules to the firewall to prevent different VLANs that is connected on the same switch from being able to ping/talk to each other but it does not work. Is it possible?

here is something that I tried to make VLAN4 not being able to communicate with VLAN2

VLAN2 Interface:
    BLOCK any from source=VLAN4 to any destination/port

• Create rules where comunication begins.

If you want to block vlan4 to vlan2, put this rule on vlan4 interface

• Yes it is possible but your rule is not correct. It should be:

VLAN2 Interface:
    BLOCK any from source=VLAN2 to VLAN4 

Any packets that the VLAN2 interface rule sees will be coming "from" VLAN2 and going out somewhere else so you have to structure the rule that way.

• I see… so is there no way to make it so that certain IP, example 123.123.123.123, will be blocked by interface VLAN2???  I can only make a rule in the interface VLAN2's firewall to say that block any packets that its destination is to IP 123.123.123.123 ?

thanks!!  :o

• @focalguy:

Yes it is possible but your rule is not correct. It should be:

VLAN2 Interface:
    BLOCK any from source=VLAN2 to VLAN4 

Any packets that the VLAN2 interface rule sees will be coming "from" VLAN2 and going out somewhere else so you have to structure the rule that way.

I tried to put that rule into VLAN2, but if I use a client on VLAN4, I can still ping clients on VLAN2.

• @grndluei:

I tried to put that rule into VLAN2, but if I use a client on VLAN4, I can still ping clients on VLAN2.

Different interface. Read
    http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Firewall_Rule_Basics

• BTW, I want to isolate VLAN2 from the rest of the VLANs or any new VLANs that I will be adding. I don't want to make a new rule that tells it to BLOCK packets going to VLAN2 in each new VLAN interface that I create.  That is why I want to add a firewall rule in VLAN2's interface to only allow IPs that I want. Is this possible?

thx

• you can do that with a quick floating rule.

• @cmb:

you can do that with a quick floating rule.

Thanks, I got it working by adding a floating rule:

Action: Block
    Quick: checked
    Interface: VLAN2
    Direction: any
    Protocol: any
    Src: not VLAN2 subnet
    Dest VLAN2 subnet

Now I have another question… If i set Direction to OUT, then it works like I want it to.  But if I set it to IN then it doesn't work like I want it to.  Shouldn't this be the other way around?  I am assuming direction refers to packets going IN to VLAN2 or OUT of VLAN2?

Thanks!

• If you're blocking traffic destined to VLAN2, then yes you want out. In on VLAN2 would be traffic initiated on VLAN2.