QoS Setup $150
Here's what we have
- CF/embedded 2.0.1-RELEASE (i386) built on Mon Dec 12 19:00:03 EST 2011 FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p6
- one LAN NIC: 192.168.0.254
- two WAN NICs: - 1. (WAN) Time Warner partial T1 (756kbit) 2. (OPT1) Comcast Business Class
Two main things run off the WAN:
1. Exchange Server
ports 25 for email delivery incoming only
port 80 and 443 for exchange OWA, ActiveSync
2. PPTP Server for VPN in.
The WAN gets saturated anytime we receive large file attachments in email and we don't want that to slow the PPTP users, or OWA. Obviously, it also causes the RTT time to jump up significantly on the Dashboard causing Latency warnings.
What we need
- We need traffic shaping to take place only on the WAN side leaving the OPT1 interface alone.
- Need an expert that has done this or something similar and can explain/teach as it is setup and show that indeed it is working afterwards.
How we want it done
- Remote access to a computer that can configure our pf box while on the phone explaining as I follow along.
- The bounty of $150 will be paid as soon as you and I verify that the problem has been solved and the QoS is working properly.
- I expect this to take about an hour but no more than 2hours, but if it needs to take longer we can discuss and you will be compensated accordingly.
I've tried the traffic shaping wizards but don't feel confident that I'm doing it correctly. I'm not sure about the rules when it comes to the PPTP server on the WAN as those rules I believe are hidden and automatically created. I noticed the wizard creates floating rules for GRE but I'm not sure they are working properly. I'm also unsure of how to have the queues only apply on the WAN side and not the OPT1 side and how the floating rules affect the rules we already have in place.
I have attached an image to better describe our setup.
AFAIK it'll be very difficult to do proper QoS on a 756Kbps link, without reducing the MTU size.
You can read about some of the issues involved in