PfSense + Captive Portal + VMWare Server
BNO last edited by
I searched the forums and google and did not find a satisfying answer to my problem, so here it is:
Windows 7 Pro x64
VMWare Server 2.0.2
2 physical NICs
pfSense 2.0.1 x64
1 GB RAM
10 GB Disk
em0 -> WAN -> DHCP -> Connected to phys. NIC 1
em1 -> LAN -> 10.10.0.1/16 -> Connected to phys. NIC 2
I want to have a guest wifi provided through the second physical NIC and a WiFi access point connected to it.
This is what I did to pfSense:
1. Installed pfSense on the Virtual HD
2. Setup the interfaces as specified above
3. Activated DHCP Server on the LAN interface for 10.10.1.1 - 10.10.254.254
4. Installed OpenVM-Tools
5. Tested initial setup -> Internet access through the guest network works just fine
6. Configured Captive Portal with basic values and local auth.
Result: No captive portal when trying to browse the web using the guest network.
Accessing the portel through port :8000 works, but the redirect does not happen.
I don't really get why this doesn't work.
The only guess I currently have is, that it could be related to VMWare Bridging.
If someone could help me, it would be highly appreciated.
Sounds like what usually happens when the users on that interface can't use DNS. If you are specifying external DNS servers in the DHCP config, make sure you have them set on the 'allowed ip addresses' tab of CP.