Guest access via cell phones

• I have a network dedicated to guest access and they can only gain access using a voucher through captive portal. If a guest wants to connect their cell phone to the guest network. Will apps that access the internet work at all? Will they work without a voucher? Or do they have to open a browser and enter the voucher and then they will have internet access for all their apps?

Thanks!

• @broncoBrad:

If a guest wants to connect their cell phone to the guest network. Will apps that access the internet work at all?

Yes, if the are permitted by the captive portal.

@broncoBrad:

Will they work without a voucher?

Yes, if they access a IP address configured in the captive portal bypass list.

@broncoBrad:

Or do they have to open a browser and enter the voucher and then they will have internet access for all their apps?

Yes.

• So if I don't have any IPs in the bypass list, then all will be required to enter a voucher before being able to use the internet for apps or browsers?

Is there a setting in captive portal that I have to set to allow apps?

Thanks!!

• For the network, the apps just do HTTP/HTTPS requests and such things, pfSense doesn't know what's app (see what I did there ;)) or browser.

• If you know where all those apps are, yes.  You allow the app server IP in captive portal.  I alwayse stick the popular update servers in mine…  (windows Update, Symantic and McAfee)  Problem is they keep moving them.