Vnode_pager_getpages: I/O read error



  • Almost every day i get some weird errors from pfsense.

    I-m using the latest 2.0.2 pfsense with no packages at all.

    It just connects to a pppoe wan and routes to a lan.

    it works inside a virtual machine with the latest edition of virtualbox.

    I use to disable the host I/O cache to avoid read and write errors and pfsense works much better with more stability but i still see some errors.

    I don't know if i should use a virtual SATA HDD controller or just stick with the default IDE controller.

    Maybe it doesn't even depend on the virtual HDD controller.

    This is the error i'm getting.

    Enter an option:

    kill: Device not configured

    FreeBDS/amd64 (pfsense.localdomain) (ttyv0)

    /: create/symlink failed, no inodes free

    /: write failed, filesystem is full

    Fatal error: Unknown: apc_fcntl_lock failed: in Unknown on line 0

    –-------------------------------------------

    vnode_pager_getpages: I/O read error
    vm_fault: pager read error, pid 23355 (rrdtool)


  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    Those are the kind of errors that show up when the disk disappears or can no longer be read/written to.

    I can't say I've seen those happen in virtualbox before, but It's possible that it is the emulated disk controller.

    I run 2+ VMs at all times in vbox and they're happy indefinitely (until I break them, because they're test/development VMs :-)



  • Indeed! In fact it looks like the disk emulation sometimes takes too long to read or write or it's not even able to read or write at all for some sort of disk emulation crash.
    I have been using the latest vbox for a while and no errors at all, but sometimes, with the very same config, i install a newer pfsense snapshot (always working with the latest ones)
    and the problem appears again.
    I have been using a nice 2.1 snapshot that works perfectly but it's from November 2012. I'm afraid that installing a newer February 2013 snapshots the issue will appear again.

    I noticed that disabling I/O host cache the issue is less frequent. Also with some snapshots virtual SATA controller seemed to work better than the default IDE controller.
    In some snapshots SATA didn't work at all so not always i could test the SATA setup.

    Hopefully this info will help someone.


Log in to reply