Disable Captive Portal by schedule

• I want to do somewhat opposite of what most people ask on this form.  I want the captivate portal to be disabled during working hours and then enable it afterwards.

Can this be done within pfsense or do i need something via crontab?  For me a simple option will be enable/disable the captive portal via command line.  What would the command be (if any).

What is the better option via firewall schedule (and associated rule) or crontab?

• you should first install the cron package

the shell command to stop captive portal is as below:
    /sbin/kldunload ipfw.ko

the shell command(s) to start captive portal is as below:
    /sbin/kldload ipfw.ko
    /sbin/ipfw -q /tmp/ipfw.cp.rules

you should create 2 cron job. the first cron job is to start captive portal….the second cron job is to stop the captive portal

• Thanks.  I have couple of followup questions.

1. How does ipfw work/stack with pf?  How does one firewall take precedence over the other because as i understand with captive port both firewalls/filters are active?  Do they work at different layers?

2)  Why would i need to unload a kernel module to disable ipfw instead of perhaps flushing the firewall table with "ipfw" or corresponding command?

Regards,

• It is better to use the php commands to do the disable rather than the not correct shell commands provided here.
    Take a look at what happens when you click enable/disable button on the CP configuration page.

• @ermal:

It is better to use the php commands to do the disable rather than the not correct shell commands provided here.
    Take a look at what happens when you click enable/disable button on the CP configuration page.

Another easy way to do it would be tojust leave captive portal running and insert/remove a rule (using the IPFW command) to skip the portal rules.