New Captive Portal / lighttpd / php daemon choking on connections
storkus last edited by
I'm not sure whether I should post this here or in the dev forum, but as the problem is primarily with the CP I decided and I'm not posting code, I'm putting it here.
Like a lot of others, I've been having major pfSense slowdowns, which I've now traced to the CP being seemingly DoS'd by certain devices on the LAN. What is on these devices causing them to do this I don't know, but the devices themselves have historically been iThings; recently I discovered Android devices doing this as well. So far, no PC's or Macs, but…
Setting max connections to CP to just 1 helped cut down, but didn't eliminate the problem: only setting a firewall rule banning the offending luser brought the system back to normal. Obviously this kind of manual intervention won't scale. One way around it would be to use beefier hardware, but this doesn't fix the root issue: SOMETHING changed between 2.0.[0|1] and 2.0.3/2.1. What it is no one seems to know…
I'm trying to figure out what to do at this point: downgrade, upgrade the hardware, or really get in deep (I don't know PHP, but I can learn; OTOH, I'm not getting paid for any of this).