PFSense : port 0 closed? AFAIK it's not a real port.

• Hello everybody,
    here my network
    WiMax Antenna (192.168.3.1) –> Alix with WAN interface at 192.168.3.254 --> LAN

now: i've tried "shields up" site against my firewall (with latest PfSense) and:

• With a debian with iptables everything is stealth (0 port, too)
    • With PfSense the 0 port it's not stealth but closed.

Should I worry about this port, or should ignore this port?

Thank you

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

Not sure what you would be doing on pfsense to have it show 0 closed?  Mine doesn't all it shows is port 443 which is the only port I have forwarded in that range scanned..

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2015-10-31 at 11:10:51

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

1 Ports Open
      0 Ports Closed
    1055 Ports Stealth
    –-------------------
    1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be CLOSED.

The port found to be OPEN was: 443

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                      - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                      - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

So what does your report say?  Its says 0 is open???  Or you reading this a port 0 is closed?? 0 Ports Closed

Can you post your wan rules..

• Banned

Oh noes, the Gibson's shit once again. Look, there's zero difference between closed and "stealth", security wise. Also, having a PTR record is not dangerous, contrary to that guy's belief, and responding to ping does not harm anyone either. Finally:

/etc/inc/filter.inc

# We use the mighty pf, we cannot be fooled.
    block {$log['block']} quick inet proto { tcp, udp } from any port = 0 to any tracker {$increment_tracker($tracker)} label "Block traffic from port 0"
    block {$log['block']} quick inet proto { tcp, udp } from any to any port = 0 tracker {$increment_tracker($tracker)} label "Block traffic to port 0"
    block {$log['block']} quick inet6 proto { tcp, udp } from any port = 0 to any tracker {$increment_tracker($tracker)} label "Block traffic from port 0"
    block {$log['block']} quick inet6 proto { tcp, udp } from any to any port = 0 tracker {$increment_tracker($tracker)} label "Block traffic to port 0"

P.S. Is he still selling the Spinrite snake oil that claims to cure faulty HDDs by superlowlevel format?  ::)

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

With you 110% on the gibson snakeoil shit dok..

Just trying to understand what the OP is seeing.. since it shouldn't be showing 0 closed even if the test is a bunch of hype about "stealth" ;)

I think the OP is see where it says 0 ports closed as being port 0 ;)