New pfsense apu setup just starts waiting and then starts again.
tier2 last edited by
I recently put together a new PCEngines apu1d4 build. I went with their pretty much default setup for wireless. I got the Compex WLE200NX a/b/g/n miniPCI express card and then the 2.4Ghz antennas with pigtails.
I should say that the speed I am getting is not bad on wireless devices. It's just that every now and then with the connection still made data transfer just stops. I may be using an app on my tablet where as I scroll more data comes. Maybe a dating app to see new profiles but at times it just sites there loading whereas on wired or via my cellular provider it's very fast. I've even made my android phone as a hotspot and used my tablet in the same manner. The issue went away. This really singled out that it was this pfsense setup.
Before asking on here I have looked at the logs and done alot of investigation. The logs really don't indicate an issue.
Looking through the settings at Status:Interfaces I noticed that on the wireless interface ath0 there was quite a few errors
In/out errors 174/131076
That's the current number. I looked through the settings and tried a few things which helped a bit but not much.
- Changed Antenna settings from default so that the transmit is #1 and receive is #2
- Set the distance setting to 7 meters.
- Changed Key Rotation from 60 seconds to 3400 seconds. I think this is what did it since the box was starved for entropy.
Other than these though I am still facing the issue sometimes. It's nowhere near as persistent but I am really not enjoying it. I like the satisfaction of knowing I set this up and it's not looking good so far.
My wifi network is locked down by mac address and dhcp addresses are only given out for those on the list. That's really the only other change.
Does anybody have any ideas?
pfmakessense last edited by
Although I can't give you a proper solution to your problem, I recommend NOT using the WLE2000 card with pfsense and apu1d4. It gave me (on release 1.x and 2.0/2.1) nothing but trouble (endlessly rebooting and hangs) ending up with an broken WLE2000 adapter.
After a long search trough forums and tech sites I decided to take a chance on a AR9280 based chipset mini pcie card which I bought cheap on ebay.
ath0: <atheros 9280="">at device 0.0 on pci5
ath0: [HT] enabling HT modes
ath0: [HT] 1 stream STBC receive enabled
ath0: [HT] 1 stream STBC transmit enabled
ath0: [HT] 2 RX streams; 2 TX streams
ath0: AR9280 mac 128.2 RF5133 phy 13.0
ath0: 2GHz radio: 0x0000; 5GHz radio: 0x00c0
The card works excelent on my pfsense 2.2.x
Hope this helps</atheros>