• pfSense will not start after update

Hardware: PC ENGINES APU2B4

following message is output serially:

can't find 'kernel' '                      e +

Error while including /boot/menu.rc, in the line: :

menu-displayy

||

can't load 'kernel''

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help. .

OK

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

Was that an update from 2.2.x to 2.3 that broke, or an update from one 2.3 snapshot to another?

The only times I can recall seeing that are when the disk was too full for the upgrade to fully complete

• update from 2.3 snapshot to another. via the web interface.

HDD: mSATA SSD 30GB

This error has occurred twice. I could just reinstall.

• Happens to me today after update ,i try load kernel.old … But same error  :(

• @whitexp:

Happens to me today after update ,i try load kernel.old … But same error  :(

are you also on an APU2? If not, what hardware? Full install or nanobsd? 32 or 64 bit?

I suspect OP's issue is some kind of APU2 hardware bug as they seem to have a slew of them (still pre-release).

• @cmb:

@whitexp:

Happens to me today after update ,i try load kernel.old … But same error  :(

are you also on an APU2? If not, what hardware? Full install or nanobsd? 32 or 64 bit?

I suspect OP's issue is some kind of APU2 hardware bug as they seem to have a slew of them (still pre-release).

GA-C847N
    4 GB DDR3
    HD SATA 80 GB ( tested and ok ) .

64 bits , full install

• I have a 2.3 / 64-bit full installation.

I have informed the Support of PC Engines.
    The Board remains with me often at a reboot of pfSense stand at the Uptime message.
    Here I have to disconnect the power.

• I have an APU2B4 with latest pfSense 2.3 64-bit nano 4GB image (I'll update daily via webinterface) installed on an USB stick and I don't have any problems since about 2 weeks.

I also had the reboot bug, but it is gone. I assume it was after the update to FreeBSD 10.3-PRERELEASE.

Also no problems with PowerD like it is described here: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=106444.msg593107#msg593107