Squid and Netflix
On the 2.2.x series of pfSense I had no trouble with Netflix. I just tried Netflix for the first time in several months and found it would not stream any shows. The only way around it was to bypass the Netflix IPs in Squid. This is not ideal as I can no longer monitor bandwidth if Netflix is on bypass. Does anyone know why it doesn't work any longer and what I can do to make it work?
They've seriously tightened down proxy and VPN detection in the past month or two.
not likely you can get around it in any other manner.
For now, given the historic practice of licensing content by geographic territories, the TV shows and movies we offer differ, to varying degrees, by territory.
Come back in a couple of years and the producers of content will have got up with the modern world and will realize that they should license/sell their content to whoever wants to pay for it, regardless of their physical location. Licensing by geographic location is for old-fashioned businesses that have/had content distributors that were geographically based. Eventually businesses learn to change or go out of business - but it takes time.
Interesting concept. I use squid and squidguard for content filtering and logging purposes. I think that's where most of us use it for. Using it to watching movies in other regions? Who cares??? As for this regional crap I have to agree. Our local cable company and HBO and the others are the same way. I can't subscribe directly to the channel I want. It needs to go through the local cable company since they license the market. Total crap if you ask me. Build the license into the subscription fee like Netflix and Hulo do it. Sell direct to those who want it. It's time to get with the times. With the internet we have a far superior content delivery model in place.
Netflix seems to have opened quite a can of worms with their recent changes. Not sure how many legit users are impacted, but it's likely many. Netflix stopped working out of our office recently on some devices. The iOS and Android Netflix apps don't work, and Firefox doesn't work, with that proxy detected garbage when the traffic isn't being proxied. Same machines where Firefox doesn't work, Chrome does. Couldn't see anything apparently different between them. Their support was useless. Something along the lines of DNS needing to take the same path as the HTTP/HTTPS requests was the best answer we got out of Netflix support, but that makes no sense at all when the same PC works with one browser and not another. We're BGP multi-homed across multiple providers with a full Internet routing table, so no, our traffic isn't necessarily going to take the same path every time, and traffic to IP A may not have the same path as IP B. But if that were the only issue, it wouldn't differ from one browser to another on the same machine.