Reboot after update takes a while

• Has anyone else noticed when going from 2.3->2.3.1 (same thing happened from 2.3.1 to 2.3.1_1) that a lot of packages do not get installed until after the reboot (but before all the services come up)? It takes the router out of commission for a lot longer while those updates are being applied.

• Hello !
    Same observation here. We are using a special pfSense device since 2 years. All updates was applied from 2.1.X version to last 2.3.1.
    During update process 2.3_1 to 2.3.1 our router takes 4 minutes to respond again, it's 4 times more longer as usual (1 minute average).

Is this behavior normal ?

impossible to find a timeout trace in different log entries or I have not found the correct log file ??

• Depending on the device you are using : what about hooking up a screen and just look what it's doing right after the kernel gets loaded ?

• That's exactly what I did. I noticed it installing all of the non-kernel/non-OS packages at that point. Back in the <= 2.2 days, it seemed to do all that in the background with that animated hard drive image. At least then, the router was up and routing packets while doing so.