Asus N3150M and some weird graphic issue

• It become summer and the desire to spend less energy/heat let me bought an Asus N3150M-E with additional dual Intel NIC. Installed pfSense 3.0 on it and in principle it works.

What is a but duraturbing is the fact that both on VGA and HDMI I have dotted lines over the screen flushing. It's ok while in UEFI bios setup screens.

I read in some other posts that there is an issue with embedded graphics. My search-fu was weak and I couldn't find further details.

Can someone "help me over the street" and provide more info or maybe even a solution ?

Or could it be a hardware issue (but since bios works I doubt) ?

• Installed pfSense 3.0 on it and in principle it works.

Are you really sure it is the pfSense version 3.0?

• A couple of things aren't clear from your post:

Installed pfSense 3.0 on it and in principle it works.

Where did you get pfSense 3.0?  Haven't even heard about a beta of that version.

on VGA and HDMI I have dotted lines over the screen flushing.

Do you mean "flashing" ?

Where do you see the "dotted lines", on the Web GUI or the text based console screen?

• opps, not so sure anymore …

2.3.1-RELEASE

mixed up with zabbix, installed (3.0.3) ... you got me after a busy day playing with new toys ...  ;)

• @divsys:

A couple of things aren't clear from your post:

Installed pfSense 3.0 on it and in principle it works.

Where did you get pfSense 3.0?  Haven't even heard about a beta of that version.

on VGA and HDMI I have dotted lines over the screen flushing.

Do you mean "flashing" ?

Where do you see the "dotted lines", on the Web GUI or the text based console screen?

in text based console; those dotted lines looks real dots …......................... over the whole width of the screen; appear quick and disappear again in under a second. really just flashing.

I might should make a video to better show what I mean.

• Here an visual impression of the issue

https://vimeo.com/168537508

And sorry for my bad English writing. My poor skills paired with iOS spell shredder not make it easier  :(

• Hmmm, at a guess I would say something goofy in the hardware dealing with the display adapter or electrical noise.

Is this a VGA connection or HDMI?
    If VGA, check your cabling and monitor.  Can you try a different monitor and see if the problem goes away?
    Are the monitor and PC plugged into the same power outlet?

I would check the BIOS settings for memory assigned to the internal graphics and reduce it to the absolute minimum.
    The pfSense console is text based only and doesn't require a block of memory for graphics.

Check if there's a BIOS update for that box and get it up to the latest.

Very likely IMHO this will be an annoyance issue and won't affect the operation of pfSense.

• @divsys:

Hmmm, at a guess I would say something goofy in the hardware dealing with the display adapter or electrical noise.

Is this a VGA connection or HDMI?
    If VGA, check your cabling and monitor.  Can you try a different monitor and see if the problem goes away?

Tried on a 17" EIZO via VGA and on a Sony Bravia via HDMI.

Are the monitor and PC plugged into the same power outlet?

Yes

I would check the BIOS settings for memory assigned to the internal graphics and reduce it to the absolute minimum.
    The pfSense console is text based only and doesn't require a block of memory for graphics.

Good point; will check tomorrow when home from work

Check if there's a BIOS update for that box and get it up to the latest.

will have a look

Thanks for your time and responses