PfSense 2.3.1_p5 DNS Resolver no response



  • hi,
    I just did set up a new firewall system with a fresh install of pfSense 2.3.1 and an update to 2.3.1_p5
    On this system the DNS resolver is not working. I always get "no response" from 127.0.0.1 when I do a DNS lookup test.
    Also the Web UI is responding very slow when applying changes to configuration.

    When I use DNS forwarder instead DNS lookup test is working fine and the Web UI is much more reponsive.

    I have a similar firewall running 2.3.1_p1 where DNS Resolver is working fine.



  • Sorry, forget it - had nothing to do with pfSense version but the DSL router in front of pfSense was doing strange things.
    After a reboot of the DSL router DNS resolver was working fine.



  • I'm experiencing the exact same issue.
    I'm not wanting to restart the modem as the sync time (VDSL) will be an inconvenience to my users.
    I have disabled DNS Resolver in pfsense and enabled DNS Forwarder.
    I am observing the same web UI speed increase, as well as DNS now working flawlessly.

    Update:
    I'm wondering if I need to add an entry into Services > DNS Resolver > Access Lists