[Solved] UnRaid No Internet Access



  • Good Morning pfSense Community

    I am struggling with an issue that I think is more on UnRaid's side than pfSense but I thought I would mirror my LimeTech post here to see if anyone has any insights…

    I've got this really strange problem with UnRaid not being able to access the internet when everything says it can.

    Here is a little background;
    I'm running a pfSense VM as my router and DHCP server with DNS routing being forwarded through my WAN PPOE.
    UnRaid has been setup with a Static IP within the range of the pfSense DHCP with a gateway and dns ip that of pfSense.

    I can connect to both pfSense, UnRaid and any service UnRaid is hosting like Sabnzbd through their respective web guis.
    I can SSH into pfSense and UnRaid as you'd expect.

    The computers on my network can access and freely use the local network and the internet (proof in this post).
    pfSense can see, ping, dns resolve the UnRaid server fine.
    SSH UnRaid can ping, dns resolve the pfSense server fine.
    SSH UnRaid can ping, dns resolve any internet address perfectly fine.

    Yet when I try and update any plugins through the UnRaid webgui, it times out as it cannot get access to the internet.
    When I try and test any internet connection via an UnRaid service like Sabnzbd, Sonarr and the like, it times out as it doesn't appear to get any internet access.

    I've checked my pfSense Router logs and I cannot see any blocks for the UnRaid servers IP or Ports.

    I am at my whits end as to why everything is saying Internet is good to go, yet obviously its not?

    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    If i've glossed over some information or you need me to provide more... Please don't hesitate in asking.

    Cheers.



  • If i've glossed over some information or you need me to provide more

    The details of your network?  Are all these on the same LAN segment?  Why are you assigning a static IP address that's within the DHCP scope?  Put it outside the DHCP scope, or use static mappings.  Are you running any packages like Squid, Snort, Suricata, pfBlocker?  Ultimately, if there is nothing in the logs then you'll have to do a packet capture and then take a look in Wireshark to really see what's going on.



  • Sorry, was late last night when I posted to LimeTech.

    The network is running off of 192.168.0.X

    The only change in subnet is with the WAP which I have no issues with.

    My DHCP scope in pfSense is: 192.168.0.100 -> 192.168.0.199

    UnRaid is statically set to 192.168.0.252
    WAP is DHCP assigned to 192.168.0.253
    pfSense is statically set to 192.168.0.254

    All the other systems on the network that are running perfectly fine, are statically assigned an IP from the pfSense DHCP server outside of its standard range.

    I've assigned UnRaid a static IP due to the fact that pfSense is a VM running under UnRaid.
    I've assigned the DNS server and Gateway to the pfSense server for UnRaid.

    I am running Squid and I can't see any hits on .252 in the Realtime monitor.

    Also, my pfSense Firewall logs are extremely lagged… I am only seeing log points from 11pm last night atm, nothing from this morning yet.

    .: Update #1 :.

    Running through the network settings I see my br0 is showing no broadcast IP…
    Could this be my issue?
    How can I change this Broadcast IP to reflect a standard IP assignment IE 192.168.0.255

    
    br0: flags=4163<up,broadcast,running,multicast>mtu 1500
            inet 192.168.0.252  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 0.0.0.0
            ether d8:cb:8a:ec:7d:c7  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 5941  bytes 1040338 (1015.9 KiB)
            RX errors 0  dropped 80  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 4495  bytes 653839 (638.5 KiB)
            TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
    
    br1: flags=4163<up,broadcast,running,multicast>mtu 1500
            inet 169.254.44.137  netmask 255.255.0.0  broadcast 169.254.255.255
            ether 46:be:4d:43:50:51  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
            RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 99  bytes 19396 (18.9 KiB)
            TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
    
    eth0: flags=4419<up,broadcast,running,promisc,multicast>mtu 1500
            ether d8:cb:8a:ec:7d:c7  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 6017  bytes 1170715 (1.1 MiB)
            RX errors 0  dropped 1  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 4495  bytes 668203 (652.5 KiB)
            TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
            device interrupt 18
    
    lo: flags=73<up,loopback,running>mtu 65536
            inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.255
            loop  txqueuelen 1  (Local Loopback)
            RX packets 141  bytes 11709 (11.4 KiB)
            RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 141  bytes 11709 (11.4 KiB)
            TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0</up,loopback,running></up,broadcast,running,promisc,multicast></up,broadcast,running,multicast></up,broadcast,running,multicast> 
    


  • .: Update #2 - SOLVED :.

    Ok, after running the packet capture I found that I was dropping my tcp packets for some reason.
    Googling lead me to this;
    https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Lost_Traffic_/_Packets_Disappear

    I do in fact have a Realtek card I am routing this through.

    After making these changes… Internet worked as it should.


Log in to reply