Getting Started and CLI configurations

• Hey guys,

New to PFSense and had a quick getting started question.  I see from the books online and forums that its easy to setup PFSense via its GUI and some things can be setup via the Console Menu.

I was wondering whats the right approach to CLI  configuration?  When I go to the shell can I add NAT rules and static routes and will that make its way back to the GUI?  I ask cause I created a static route on the freeBSD OS, and the route did not show up in the System –> Routing Page, but did make its way to the Diagnostics --> Routes page.

Just want to make sure whereever I make the changes/configs they are synced across the application and OS properly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Anish

• If it's not on the menu, you have to do it through the gui. Anything added from the shell will not survive a reboot/filter reload.

• You really only use the CLI during initial setup, where you assign your NICs and IP addresses.  After tha it's GUI all the way.

• @dotdash:

If it's not on the menu, you have to do it through the gui. Anything added from the shell will not survive a reboot/filter reload.

Thanks!