Help bridging VLAN with physical interface

• I would like to connect my VM server's IPMI to my main network. My main network and guest network are both on a VLANs on the same physical interface. My switch is completely full, but I have an extra physical interface on my pfSense box. How can I bridge the extra interface and my main network VLAN? I was looking at this guide but it doesn't work for VLANs: https://www.infotechwerx.com/blog/Creating-a-Simple-pfSense-Bridge.

I understand that this is not ideal because software is not the place to do switching. However, I will rarely ever be using the IPMI and it seems like such a waste to buy another switch. Thanks for the help!

• LAYER 8 Netgate

Works fine for VLANs, even though I'm not quite sure what "bridging VLANs" means.

You could bridge, say, em0 and em1_vlan100 as member interfaces. Not sure you'd really want to but you could.

Even getting some cheap, unmanaged switch and putting it on an untagged/access port on the VLAN in question would be better than burning a precious router port on something like that.

• @Derelict:

Works fine for VLANs, even though I'm not quite sure what "bridging VLANs" means.

It doesn't work for VLANs. The VLAN interface does not show up in the dropdown.

@Derelict:

You could bridge, say, em0 and em1_vlan100 as member interfaces. Not sure you'd really want to but you could.

How?

@Derelict:

Even getting some cheap, unmanaged switch and putting it on an untagged/access port on the VLAN in question would be better than burning a precious router port on something like that.

Why? I have 4 NICs on my router, I only use 2.

• LAYER 8 Netgate

Has to be assigned to an OPT interface and enabled. Don't assign any IP information to it. Just enable and save.

Didn't realize I was bridging tagged and untagged on the same interface but it let me do that too:

bridge0: flags=8843 <up,broadcast,running,simplex,multicast>metric 0 mtu 1500
    ether 02:2b:3a:69:3c:00
    nd6 options=1 <performnud>id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15
    maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200
    root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0
    member: re3_vlan1010 flags=143 <learning,discover,autoedge,autoptp>ifmaxaddr 0 port 11 priority 128 path cost 200000
    member: re3 flags=143 <learning,discover,autoedge,autoptp>ifmaxaddr 0 port 4 priority 128 path cost 200000</learning,discover,autoedge,autoptp></learning,discover,autoedge,autoptp></performnud></up,broadcast,running,simplex,multicast>

• LAYER 8 Netgate

@fenichelar:

Why? I have 4 NICs on my router, I only use 2.

Because those are router ports. Not switch ports. But do what you're going to do. Can only suggest here.