Unable to communicate to pfsense.com on packages page
I've done lots of searching for the answer to this and nothing seems to address the issue I've got - would greatly appreciate any help you can give.
I get the above error on the packages page on the configurator, but I don't think the problem is to do with DNS. Pinging pfsense.com has no response, but resolves the name correctly and gives the following output:
PING pfsense.com (184.108.40.206) from 10.0.0.2: 56 data bytes --- pfsense.com ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
A separate ping of www.google.com does respond as below:
PING www.l.google.com (220.127.116.11) from 10.0.0.2: 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=269.461 ms 64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=1 ttl=244 time=328.819 ms 64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=2 ttl=244 time=303.630 ms --- www.l.google.com ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 269.461/300.637/328.819/24.325 ms
If I go to a shell on the pfsense box, I can also telnet directly to pfsense.com port 80 and GET / the default page of the site. This does resolve. I'm running version 1.2-RELEASE.
Please can someone help me resolve this issue?
Perry last edited by
If you search with keyword "Unable to communicate" you'll find others with the same problem.
www.pfsense.com do not answer to ping.
My wild guess would be a gateway problem or a wan ip should be /24 instead of /32
Hi Perry, and thanks for your response. I did search - extensively - and no solution mentioned helped. My wan is already set up as /24. My wan NIC is configured as 10.0.0.2/24 and this is plugged directly into another machine which acts as the outbound gateway. This is necessary because the link to the outside is an iBurst wireless terminal which connects to the gateway machine over USB. The gateway is configured with 10.0.0.1 so is on the same subnet as the WAN NIC. The inbound LAN is on a different subnet - 192.168.0.x.
Perry last edited by
Maybe you can see something if you traceroute to www.pfsense.com (188.8.131.52)
else you could try my packages list for kicks and see if you can communicate to it:
Under Diagnostics -> Edit File load /etc/inc/globals.inc
find the line with xmlrpcbaseurl and www.pfsense.com
change www.pfsense.com to pfsense.site88.net and save
Very bizarre. I've just rebooted, without making any further changes, and now the packages list loads.