Re: 1.2.1-BETA success stories / problem-report
I have installed pfSense-20080913-0423.img on my Alix2 board (433mhz Geode, 128mb Ram) using a 1GB CF card (resized the snapshot via the bash script) and everything seems working so far.
I have imported my 1.2 configuration and the process went seamlessly.
The system seems smoother and faster compared to the previous pfsense both for troughput and interface responsiveness, FreeBSD 7.0 is obviously faster!
Ceteribus paribus memory consumption is a little bigger (37% vs 31% of the previous version), but I hope it won't impact on actual performances.
Being honest, I tried several platform in the past month and I consider pfSense the only viable choice to be run on such an embedded platform, though is not their primary focus. Considering the huge halt in the mono developement, and the instability and/or heavyness/slowness of the linux counterparts (zeroshell, embedded ipcop), I don't see any other products able to compete with pfsense at the moment: especially this new f-bsd7.0 version is just the fastest and feature-richest: i hope it will be stable as well.
I have experienced some minor glitches though:
Disabling/Enabling RRD graph plotting does not reflect on the "check" in the "status_rrd_graph_settings.php" page (the check always display the graphs as disabled = unchecked): the graph are plotted anyway if enabled, even if the displaid unchecked box.
When I disable RRD graphs I get an error from tar on shutdown complaining about missing *.rrd files … so maybe there's a shutdown script assuming rrd graphs are always enabled, and not checking if those graphs are actually enabled or not (maybe is related to #1 )
tar: var/db/rrd/*.rrd: Cannot
tar: Error exit delayed from
- Shutdown on the alix is significantly slower and it takes ages (ok, 3 minutes) to begin the reboot, compared to the 30seconds of the previos 1.2 pfsense. This is the only error I can spot on the serial console when rebooting/halting :
pflog0: promiscuous mode disabled
tcsetpgrp failed, errno=25
Hope it helps.
p.s. : I do really hope we will be able to update to the final 1.2.1 version with no need to dismantle again the alix board and flash again the CF. On embedded platform a working update procedure would be really important.
This happens in the latest 1.3-AA too. It seems to be a harmless, cosmetic issue. Hopefully to be fixed soon :P
It seems to be a harmless, cosmetic issue.
Indeed everything seems working perfectly till now (6 days)