DHCP not handing out addresses



  • Or, at least, I think it's a DHCP issue. I'm quite new to the system and networking. I run pfSense 2.0.

    We had a power cut this morning; last times this happened, there was same issues but one reboot fixed it. Not today. The wifi was broadcast but we couldn't get IP addresses. We have many PCs, all with the same problem. The phones also stop at "Obtaining IP address".

    I could not connect to address of the router until I cabled to it directly and repeatedly chose "Restart webConfigurator", didn't work the first time. When it worked, I restarted DHCP server several times, nothing changes.
    We have DHCP enabled on the LAN interface and disabled on the WAN. I managed to get the static IP address correct, I've tried the same on other computers but it didn't work. Only on mine, cabled to router.

    I tried to restart DHCP from Developer Shell, I get syntax error, "unexpected $end in /usr/local/sbin/pfSsh.php(334) : eval()'d code on line 6.

    I restored to several previous working configs, still same problem.

    If you're wondering why I run an old version, I tried upgrading the firmware, auto-upgrade gives error. even with signature turned off. Manual upgrade hangs on "waiting on host address", so that's a tale for another time.

    What is the problem and what can I do in this case?

    Thank you so much! I'm running out of ideas here.



  • I restored to several previous working configs, still same problem.

    @BDT:

    What is the problem and what can I do in this case?
    …..
    If you're wondering why I run an old version, I tried upgrading the firmware, auto-upgrade gives error. even with signature turned off. Manual upgrade hangs on "waiting on host address", so that's a tale for another time.

    Take it the other way around : bug updates were proposed since "2.0". What about you running into something that was solved later on ? Not being able to update an "OS" is a huge bug that should be handles FIRST before existing using the appliance.

    @BDT:

    We had a power cut this morning; last times this happened, there was same issues but one reboot fixed it. Not today.

    Critical net appliances should be protected with a UPS. As every disk based system, a simple file system error could introduce a situation where it doesn't start any more by itself. That puts you in a "look for the one of a billion situations what went wrong". Start by checking all the logs …
    Btw : if the issue it only the DHCP server, just assign your own PC a static IP like 192.168.1.2 and you should be able to connect to 192.168.1.41 (pfSense).

    @BDT:

    I tried to restart DHCP from Developer Shell, I get syntax error, "unexpected $end in /usr/local/sbin/pfSsh.php(334) : eval()'d code on line 6.

    Using what command ?
    (please bear in mind that nearly none of us has access to your code base anymore because of age …)

    @BDT:

    We have DHCP enabled on the LAN interface and disabled on the WAN.

    Well, yes, running a DHCP server on WAN is …. well, please : don't ;)
    A DHCP client could run on a WAN interface.

    @BDT:

    I managed to get the static IP address correct, I've tried the same on other computers but it didn't work. Only on mine, cabled to router.

    "Cabled to router."  The router is pfSense ?
    ALWAYS use a switch (or hub) between your device and the router (pfSense).
    Or be ready to use that special "crossed" RJ45 network cable - you have one ?.
    Or be SURE that one of the NIC's you are using is auto sensing and correcting.

    Setting up a device so that it is using a static IP … well, that shouldn't be a problem .... normally.

    @BDT:

    I restored to several previous working configs, still same problem.

    This is what might lead you to : hardware (disk - file system) issues … I guess you will be upgrading software and hardware now ..



  • Hi Gertjan,

    Thank you for the reply! It's thankfully solved now, you are very right with the UPS because, yes, it went wrong in a million ways.

    As you say, I could connect directly to pfsense (the router) through cable and assigning static IP. The web GUI kept going down however and it was one hell of an uphill battle.

    Turnes out the DHCP was not receiving requests so after finally managing to access pfsense web GUI consistently again, I turned to the switches and solved it there.


Log in to reply