PfSense as PXE boot server

• Is it possible to setup pfSense as a PXE boot server?

At the moment I have an arrangement whereby pfSense assigns IP addresses to PXE boot clients and booting is done via tftp which is run on a FreeNAS box. What I'd like to do is run tftpd and store boot images on the pfSense box.

Has anyone done this?

• Banned

Install the tftpd package.

• I don't see tftpd listed as an available pkg under Package Manager.

• Banned

It's available just fine on 2.3.3 and 2.4.

• Strange….  I did an upgrade during the last week and it says I'm on the latest version - 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1(amd64)...

• I have tftpd installed now, and wondered if there is a straightforward way of copying boot images which currently exist on my FreeNAS PXE server.

• Banned

Just use SCP and upload to /tftpboot. (Definitely wouldn't use the GUI for uploading ISO images.)

• Is there a how to for this subject or is somebody willing to explain how to set this up? I searched and found nothing pfsense specific. Instructions for other OS are complex and likely do not apply. I would love to PXE boot ISOs hosted on pfsense.

• At the moment I only use pfSense as a DHCP server, the rest of the PXE boot process is handled by my FreeNAS box.

On the pfSense box goto

Services -> DHCP Server

Near the bottom there are options for TFTP Server, NextServer, Default BIOS filename, Root path.

I haven't yet got round to migrating from FreeNAS to pfSense, but these are the options you need to set up to get PXE booting to work.

Also, I'd recommend reading http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=PXELINUX

• Thank you for the reply. In the meantime, I have figured this out. The settings in pfsense were relatively simple to figure out. More difficult was the installation of pxelinux and configuration thereof. I started with the link you provided and then went through numerous tutorials to get my various boot disks to work. When I find time I will document this better.